Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AndyA
Contributor II
Contributor II

Button Actions Select in Field multiple values

Hello,

I'm trying to use a button to set multiple filter options in one field in my dashboard.  I'm using select in field which works ok for one item but not multiple items such as below which exist in the field data.

Haem Nurse Acute

Acute Haem Nurse

I have seen a suggestion on here that you can use "pipe" as the separator so I've tried the below string which simply does not work and suggest that Qlikview treats | as a text separator which it clearly doesn't I would be surprised if it did.  DO you have fake posters?

(Haem Nurse Acute|Acute Haem Nurse)

This appears to be a very simple operation to complete so I don't know why I'm struggling with this and the information provided here is incorrect,  does this only work in Qliksense?

TIA

Andrew

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

The most clever way to select values is to select those values within a listbox or other objects. If there are quite a lot of values it's usually very useful to create one or more extra fields to categorize them hierarchically or in other ways - and provide those fields in the UI, too. To save space in the UI you may put them within a container.

If any possible you should try to avoid all the magic and Let-the-User-Select.

Nevertheless if you want to remain by the actions you need a second action-type of toggle-select to add a selection to an already existing selection (whereby actions aren't mandatory executed sequentially and therefore actions which dependend of each other may fail). Easier is then mostly to add all the values within a single search-statement like you did whereby you need to add double-quotes for the values because they contain spaces and it must be recognized as a search and not only as a string. Just try it in this way:

= '("Haem Nurse Acute"|"Acute Haem Nurse")'

Beside this both values look very similar - if they are really the same and they differ just because of a different writing (usually a matter of data-quality) - you should consider to harmonize them, maybe with a mapping.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

Surya
Creator II
Creator II

Yes...

it will work..

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Surya
Creator II
Creator II

use Bookmarks..or hardcoded required fields in select in field in action....

AndyA
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Spoiler
Thank you for the response but Bookmarks aren't the solution to this issue.   Can't someone just inform me how you can make multiple selections in a field using the action "select in field"

TIA

Andrew

Surya
Creator II
Creator II

in select in field 

field name....//

value   //   " =if(wildmatch(fieldname,'surya','rao'),fieldname)....

AndyA
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Why are we using an expression I'm not trying to do anything clever just trying to set a filter with a button,

Data in field:

Haem Nurse Acute

Acute Haem Nurse

Haem Nurse Cancer CNS TAS

Haem Nurse CNS SS

Haem Nurse CNS AW TAS

Haem Nurse CNS CE TAS

I'm trying to pre-set the filter using "set in field" so ACTION Select in Field

Haem Nurse Acute

Acute Haem Nurse

How do you make this work

("Haem Nurse Acute","Acute Haem Nurse")

?

marcus_sommer

The most clever way to select values is to select those values within a listbox or other objects. If there are quite a lot of values it's usually very useful to create one or more extra fields to categorize them hierarchically or in other ways - and provide those fields in the UI, too. To save space in the UI you may put them within a container.

If any possible you should try to avoid all the magic and Let-the-User-Select.

Nevertheless if you want to remain by the actions you need a second action-type of toggle-select to add a selection to an already existing selection (whereby actions aren't mandatory executed sequentially and therefore actions which dependend of each other may fail). Easier is then mostly to add all the values within a single search-statement like you did whereby you need to add double-quotes for the values because they contain spaces and it must be recognized as a search and not only as a string. Just try it in this way:

Beside this both values look very similar - if they are really the same and they differ just because of a different writing (usually a matter of data-quality) - you should consider to harmonize them, maybe with a mapping.

- Marcus

Surya
Creator II
Creator II

Yes...

it will work..

AndyA
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you Marcus I've just found this on youtube by publisher  Abhishek Agarrwal  QlikView Tutorial | QlikView Triggers | 'Select In Field' Trigger in QlikView.

I was missing the quotes to take care of the spaces in the text, I'd previously tried  [ ]

Even so yours is the best explanation/solution I've seen and wish I'd been able to find it sooner.

Cheers

Andrew