Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

CAL transforms Personal Edition into Developer

Hi all,

I am just starting to look at off-line access to documents. We are currently using 8.20 and so I downloaded 9.00sr2 just so I could explore the latest functionality. The start page announced quite happily that this was 'Personal Edition'. I do have a named user CAL on the server and apart from the 'PE' have only the plugin installed (ie no other local windows client).

I opened a server document with this 'Personal Edition' which then showed 'You are currently leasing a licence from xxxxxxxxx'. I copied a qvw from the server to the desktop and then went off-line (I actually rebooted the laptop away from the network because thats the kind of guy I am)

Next, I opened the qvw on the desktop and was surprised that I had full Enterprise access. I had been expecting (I think) only Analyzer-like functionality (ie read). I modified the document and then went back on the network to find it (using 'Enterprise' on the server) as I saved it.

My questions are:

1) Is this to be expected or is it a back-door giving Enterprise-for-every-CAL?

2) How could I restrict the local client to 'Analyser' only?

Regards,

Gordon

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Version control is dependent upon your local standards.

As I am the sole developer at my site, I simply copy the .QVW to my laptop, update it off-line using the leased licence then when I have finished I simply copy it back to the server. My version control is just changing the document title with a new 'document vN.N' and renaming the original to document vN.N.QVW so I have a history of changes. I also have a version comments table in the script to document what I have changed. No more complicated than that! If you use Access Point I guess you would have to put the old versions in a seperate folder as otherwise Access Point will show them - I dont use Access Point for a couple of reasons including the fact that as I use backup (User Preferences> Save> Use Backup) the old versions created by QLikview also become visible to Access Point.

Of course, the data sources when working off-line might not be available so reloading might be an issue, I generally work off-line just on the UI.

If you have 'Allow Licence Lease' checked in Managment Console then 'converting' your Personal Edition to a full licence with the lease is simply a question of setting 'Default Licence Lease Server' in User Preferences>Locations and away it goes.

Regards,

Gordon

Not applicable
Author

Hi Gordon,

I am confused now. we have Named CALs on the Server. I want to use on my Personal PC a leased License from the Server. Is this Possible Gordon?

I tried to use the Open from Server on the QVW and this pop comes. Any Idea Gordon??

Thanks

Sravan

Not applicable
Author

Sravan,

It still thinks it is personal edition. I am not quite sure what you are trying to achieve by opening a document from the server with a local client - you lease a licence so that you transform the client from Personal Edition to full licence and this allows you to work with/create local documents. If you want to work with a document on a server with your leased licence then you need to work directly with the .qvw, 'not open from server'.

Anyway, the key thing is that you need to lease the licence to tranform the Qlikview client: If you have 'Allow Licence Lease' checked in Managment Console then 'converting' your Personal Edition to a full licence with the lease is simply a question of setting 'Default Licence Lease Server' in User Preferences>Locations and away it goes. Qlikview will look to match a named cal to your Windows logon credentials of course - you cant lease a licence named to someone else.

Hope that helps.

Gordon