Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farheenayesha
Creator
Creator

Calculating Nth day of month by excluding holidays and weekends

Hi,

I am trying to calculate Nth day of fiscal Month for current and previous year using Invoice date by excluding hoildays and weekends. I want to create two fields as 'Nth Day by Month_PY ' and 'Nth Day by Month_CY'. Please find the data and holiday list attached. Help me to get the output similar to the output sheet in the attached excel.

Invoice DateNth Day of Month_PYNth Day of Month_CY
12/25/201721 
12/26/201721 
12/27/201722 
12/28/201723 
12/29/201724 
12/30/201724 
12/31/201724 
12/24/2018 21
12/25/2018 21
12/26/2018 21
12/27/2018 22
12/28/2018 23
12/29/2018 23
12/30/2018 23

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
jensmunnichs
Creator III
Creator III

The way I figured is that the counter restarts in the week that contains the first day of the month, with weeks starting on a Sunday. Afterwards, every weekend or holiday takes the value from the previous day. So the week restarted on 10/29/2017, but the value is taken from the previous day because it's a weekend.

I also just noticed my reply got deleted for no reason.... PFA*

I haven't managed to create the exact output he wants, maybe you can solve the join at the end of my script so it doesn't create a row for every combination between dates that have the same nth day?

*Nvm can't attach files for some reason, see script below:

Data:
LOAD [Invoice Date]
FROM
[H:\My Documents\Qlik community\Dummy data.xlsx]
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Data);

Holidays:
LOAD Concat(chr(39) & Holidays &chr(39),',') AS HD
FROM
(ooxml, embedded labels, table is [Holiday List]);

Let vHoliday = Peek('HD',0,'Holiday');
DROP Table Holidays;

Temp:
LOAD [Invoice Date],
If(WeekStart([Invoice Date], 0, 6) = Weekstart(MonthStart(AddMonths([Invoice Date], 1)), 0, 6),
NetWorkDays(WeekStart([Invoice Date], 0, 6), [Invoice Date], $(vHoliday)),
NetWorkDays(Weekstart(MakeDate(Year([Invoice Date]), Month([Invoice Date]), 1), 0, 6) ,[Invoice Date],$(vHoliday))) as ActualDays
Resident Data;

Drop table Data;

Temp2:
NoConcatenate LOAD [Invoice Date], If(ActualDays = 0, Previous(ActualDays), ActualDays) as ActualDays
Resident Temp;

Drop table Temp;

//Below creates expected output but creates every possible combination between dates with the same nth day, needs more work

//Final:
//LOAD [Invoice Date] as Date2017, ActualDays as [nth Day2017], Month([Invoice Date])&ActualDays as JoinKey
//Resident Temp
//Where Year([Invoice Date]) = 2017;
//
//Outer join
//
//LOAD [Invoice Date] as Date2018, ActualDays as [nth Day2018], Month([Invoice Date])&ActualDays as JoinKey
//Resident Temp
//Where Year([Invoice Date]) = 2018;
//
//Drop field JoinKey;
//Drop table Temp;

View solution in original post

sunny_talwar

May be try something like this

Holiday:
Mapping
LOAD Holidays,
FROM
[..\..\Downloads\Dummy data.xlsx]

Data:
LOAD [Invoice Date],
	 MonthName([Invoice Date]) as MonthYear,
	 WeekDay([Invoice Date]) as WeekDay,
	 If(ApplyMap('Holiday', [Invoice Date], Null()) or Match(WeekDay([Invoice Date]), 'Sat', 'Sun'), 1, 0) as HolidayFlag,
	 Day([Invoice Date]) as Day
FROM

Left Join (Data)
LOAD MonthYear,
	 Max(Day)+1 as Day,
	 1 as MonthEndFlag
Resident Data
Where WeekDay = 'Sun'
Group By MonthYear;

New_Data:
LOAD *,
	 If(MonthYear_New = Previous(MonthYear_New),
	 	If(HolidayFlag = 0, RangeSum(Peek('Nth Day by Month_CY'), 1), Peek('Nth Day by Month_CY')), 1) as [Nth Day by Month_CY];
LOAD *,
	 MonthStart(MonthYear, Alt(MonthEndFlag_New, 0)) as MonthYear_New;
LOAD *,
	 If(IsNull(MonthEndFlag) and MonthYear = Previous(MonthYear), Peek('MonthEndFlag_New'), MonthEndFlag) as MonthEndFlag_New
Resident Data
Order By [Invoice Date];

DROP Table Data;

image.png

View solution in original post

10 Replies
farheenayesha
Creator
Creator
Author

I would want the Nth day of the Month CY and PY as below table.  If there is holiday or weekend then the Nth day should show the previous day. 

Ex : Since 30 and 31st Dec is holiday(weekend) hence the nth day for both the days is 24 (Nth day of 29th Dec). Please help me to get these two fields as below.

Invoice DateNth Day of Month_PYNth Day of Month_CY
12/25/201721 
12/26/201721 
12/27/201722 
12/28/201723 
12/29/201724 
12/30/201724 
12/31/201724 
12/24/2018 21
12/25/2018 21
12/26/2018 21
12/27/2018 22
12/28/2018 23
12/29/2018 23
12/30/2018 23
sunny_talwar

Can you elaborate why the count restart on 10/30/2017 - 10/29/2018 rather than at the beginning of the next month?

image.png

jensmunnichs
Creator III
Creator III

The way I figured is that the counter restarts in the week that contains the first day of the month, with weeks starting on a Sunday. Afterwards, every weekend or holiday takes the value from the previous day. So the week restarted on 10/29/2017, but the value is taken from the previous day because it's a weekend.

I also just noticed my reply got deleted for no reason.... PFA*

I haven't managed to create the exact output he wants, maybe you can solve the join at the end of my script so it doesn't create a row for every combination between dates that have the same nth day?

*Nvm can't attach files for some reason, see script below:

Data:
LOAD [Invoice Date]
FROM

Holidays:
LOAD Concat(chr(39) & Holidays &chr(39),',') AS HD
FROM

Let vHoliday = Peek('HD',0,'Holiday');
DROP Table Holidays;

Temp:
LOAD [Invoice Date],
If(WeekStart([Invoice Date], 0, 6) = Weekstart(MonthStart(AddMonths([Invoice Date], 1)), 0, 6),
NetWorkDays(WeekStart([Invoice Date], 0, 6), [Invoice Date], $(vHoliday)),
NetWorkDays(Weekstart(MakeDate(Year([Invoice Date]), Month([Invoice Date]), 1), 0, 6) ,[Invoice Date],$(vHoliday))) as ActualDays
Resident Data;

Drop table Data;

Temp2:
NoConcatenate LOAD [Invoice Date], If(ActualDays = 0, Previous(ActualDays), ActualDays) as ActualDays
Resident Temp;

Drop table Temp;

//Below creates expected output but creates every possible combination between dates with the same nth day, needs more work

//Final:
//LOAD [Invoice Date] as Date2017, ActualDays as [nth Day2017], Month([Invoice Date])&ActualDays as JoinKey
//Resident Temp
//Where Year([Invoice Date]) = 2017;
//
//Outer join
//
//LOAD [Invoice Date] as Date2018, ActualDays as [nth Day2018], Month([Invoice Date])&ActualDays as JoinKey
//Resident Temp
//Where Year([Invoice Date]) = 2018;
//
//Drop field JoinKey;
//Drop table Temp;

farheenayesha
Creator
Creator
Author

Good question Sunny 🙂

I forgot to mention about this. Actually in my logic , if 1st of any month lies within the week of previous month then the entire week is considered as part of next month.

Ex. In the snapshot which you shared. Since 01-Nov-2017 is part of the last week of Oct, hence the entire week is considered as the part of Nov and 29-Oct-2017 is considered as the start date of Nov. Please let me know if you need more clarification.

farheenayesha
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for your reply Jensmunnich. Yes you are right. 

farheenayesha
Creator
Creator
Author

Just saw your complete post. Thank you so much for your efforts. Will be waiting for the exact output as i am trying this from long time.

jensmunnichs
Creator III
Creator III

No problem, sorry for creating a bit of a mess in this thread. I posted all that as a separate reply earlier but for some reason it got deleted... It also won't let me attach .qvw files for some reason, not sure what's going on.
farheenayesha
Creator
Creator
Author

No problem. Appreciate your reply. Even i am facing lot of problems in community because of which i couldn't post this question last week.

sunny_talwar

May be try something like this

Holiday:
Mapping
LOAD Holidays,
FROM

Data:
LOAD [Invoice Date],
	 MonthName([Invoice Date]) as MonthYear,
	 WeekDay([Invoice Date]) as WeekDay,
	 If(ApplyMap('Holiday', [Invoice Date], Null()) or Match(WeekDay([Invoice Date]), 'Sat', 'Sun'), 1, 0) as HolidayFlag,
	 Day([Invoice Date]) as Day
FROM

Left Join (Data)
LOAD MonthYear,
	 Max(Day)+1 as Day,
	 1 as MonthEndFlag
Resident Data
Where WeekDay = 'Sun'
Group By MonthYear;

New_Data:
LOAD *,
	 If(MonthYear_New = Previous(MonthYear_New),
	 	If(HolidayFlag = 0, RangeSum(Peek('Nth Day by Month_CY'), 1), Peek('Nth Day by Month_CY')), 1) as [Nth Day by Month_CY];
LOAD *,
	 MonthStart(MonthYear, Alt(MonthEndFlag_New, 0)) as MonthYear_New;
LOAD *,
	 If(IsNull(MonthEndFlag) and MonthYear = Previous(MonthYear), Peek('MonthEndFlag_New'), MonthEndFlag) as MonthEndFlag_New
Resident Data
Order By [Invoice Date];

DROP Table Data;

image.png