Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can I use QLIK as database itself or it is only a front end tool that pulls data from other DBs?

We don't have DB, we save our data into excel which is not preferable so we are looking for a an alternative, so for reporting, QLIK is really helpful, but I am wondering if we can use it as a back-end repository.

10 Replies
QlikWong
Contributor II
Contributor II

QlikView and Qlik Sense are both excellent ETL tool, which many people overlook.  Qlik script engines had built in some rules to help us in creating a good data model for our app, which aligning with dimensional data modeling practices.

If your organization has already an established data center team, and the person who is going to build the report or dashboard has excellent Qlik BA and DA skills, then, I would say go ahead use Qlik to be your main and only tool.    Because most important thing here is Time to Insight discovery will be shorten.  

I had very bad experienced myself working with a newly formed DB team who bring more 'question' or 'issue' to the table then bringing suggestion or solution and then we all end up solving their problem e.g. troubleshooting data inconsistency, and then making all the whole BI reporting building like the entire software engineering processes, which is quite depressing.   

Yes.  people always said must use database to process the data, 'just in case',  next time if people not happy with Qlik, can switch to Power BI or Tableau.   But if you can build a good dashboard and allow user to dig deep and go far with theirs data, who will have time to think about other BI tools (they all will be busy discovering insights).

For me, it is so important to keep the BI dashboard building process simple which allow timely delivery with minimum cost because today data might not be useful in couple of months or might impact a big decision in couple of month., best to just have the User who want to have the report and 1 good Qlik BA/DA, if he can help to train your business user, that would even better.

DW