Skip to main content
Announcements
See why Qlik is a Leader in the 2024 Gartner® Magic Quadrant™ for Analytics & BI Platforms. Download Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Can you get an Expression to work as a Calculated Dimension?

Hi everyone - I currently have a straight table and have an expression that I would like to use as a calculated dimension - but whenever I move the expression to be a calculated dimension, it returns //Error in calculated dimension - this is driving me nuts, as it seems logical to me, but don't understand why, when it works as an expression, it doesn't work as a calc.dimension....

The set analysis I am using in the expression (that works) is ONLY({$<Type = {'Hire Reject'}>}User) - this returns the user I would expect to see, yet when I put this into a calc dimension it returns the error.....please can anyone help me???

Cheers

Si

5 Replies
jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Try like this

Aggr(If(Type = 'Hire Reject', User), User, Type)

or

just use Type = 'Hire Reject' in all you expressions in chart, calculated dimension has performance issues.

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jagan - thanks for the input....

For some reason - if the expression is switched on, your suggestion returns the result I am looking for, yet as soon as I turn off the expression (and have the dimension still valid), it loses the result and returns a '-' in the result....frustrating!

Would you suggest not using calculated dimensions and do something in the load script as an alternative?

Cheers

Simon

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Can you attach some sample file?

Regards,

Jagan.

Not applicable
Author

Try this in Calc Dimension Expression

Aggr(ONLY({$<Type = {'Hire Reject'}>}User),User)

Regards,
Prabhu

Not applicable
Author

Hi everyone - thanks for your input - I have decided to build it into my load script and not use calc dimensions.

Thanks

Simon