Skip to main content
Announcements
Customer Spotlight: Discover what’s possible with embedded analytics Oct. 16 at 10:00 AM ET: REGISTER NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawrenceiow
Creator II
Creator II

Cannot read certain XLSX files

I'm hoping the experts in the QlikView community can help me with this one.

I am emailed an XLSX file each day which contains data I would like to load into my dashboard. If I save the email attachment then QlikView cannot "see" the content. However, if I first use Excel to open the file, save and try again then QlikView can "see" the content.

Untitled.png

I don't think this is a problem with QlikView itself as I cannot load the file with SQL Server Import Wizard or Visual Studio or Microsoft Access. It would seem the only program that can open it is Excel.

I am hoping someone has come across the problem before and has come up with a solution.

Regards

Lawrence

3 Replies
marcus_sommer

It seems that there is anything within the excel which is not like the default-standard and excel could ignore it or handle it like some older content with the compatibility-mode or similat and the other tools couldn't handle it.

The following was designed for a different aim but it might slightly adjusted help to automate the loading without your manual approach of re-saving the file: Re: Load excel files from web.

- Marcus

lawrenceiow
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank you for your reply marcus_sommer‌, I tried the ODBC method but I get the same sort of error ("External table is not in the expected format.") even though it's the Excel driver.

Since posting my question here I have come across a number of people who have raised similar questions on the internet and they talk about the OpenXML SDK in .net being the issue (Excel files are OpenXML), suggesting that this tool does not create properly structured XLSX files. My guess here would be that the version of OpenXML SDK is not the right version. Since I have no control over this I have had to resort to writing a visual basic macro in Microsoft Outlook so that as soon as the email arrives it launches Excel, opens and saves the document, and quits Excel again.

asiic999
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hello, I have not found myself using this .xslx
A practical way is to change the format to .xls but it is not ideal yet. Did you find any other solution?