Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avicnellyy
Contributor
Contributor

Ceiling / Floor problems

Hi all

Hoping someone can help. I cannot add the QV file due to data protection, but i have exported the issues to excel and attached. See references for details.

I need to work out how many pallets we have in stock - to do this I am dividing total stock by 880. I need to round UP to the nearest pallet. Using a ceiling in the expression (pivot table) didn't work so I have added it into my LOAD script.

quantity,
ceil((quantity/880),1.0) AS ceilquantity

This gave me excel file v3 attached. Column F is what the ceiling is giving me. Column I is what it SHOULD be giving me. If I use row 7 as an example, 63880/880 = 72.59 so why is it rounding to 74, rather than 73?

I found another post on here that used a floor instead so I changed my LOAD script to this.

quantity,
floor((quantity/880)+0.50,1.0) AS floorquantity

This gave me excel file v4 attached. Column F and I are as above - but as you can see this gives different answers.

Any ideas?

Thanks,  Amy

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

The excel files, are they the output of aggregations of multiple rounded figures?

Compare the two variants of the same source values below.
3.19 + 4.40 = 7.59 rounded up is 8

3.19 rounded up is 4
4.40 rounded up is 5
4 + 5 = 9

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

The excel files, are they the output of aggregations of multiple rounded figures?

Compare the two variants of the same source values below.
3.19 + 4.40 = 7.59 rounded up is 8

3.19 rounded up is 4
4.40 rounded up is 5
4 + 5 = 9

avicnellyy
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Hi

I didn't think they were, but i am starting to think this might be the reason. I have decided to accept this is the case and assume it is OK. Rightly or wrongly.

They are pulling through from SQL tables so it's not 100% clear what is in the background.

Thanks for the reply.