Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Change from straight table to pivot table creates 'null' values

This is very curious to me. I have a straight table that shows integer values >= 0 for all entries. Some of the entries, but not all, have sub-entries. eg I

have Aroute with two subsidiaries, Aiut Montreal and Aiut Toronto. In the straight table, it shows positive values for three fields, Capital, Customers, and Exmployees for both subsidiaries. It shows 0 - number - for for the four other fields in the table for these two companies.

If I change the table into a pivot table, and show it fully expanded, the values for Cap, Cust, and Emp show up exactly the same as they do for the straight table. However, if I collapse the pivot table to show only the parent company, these three values suddenly become 'null'. This is highly confusing - can anyone suggest why? Thanks.

PivotExample.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Not sure if I understand.

Well, you've got two values e.g. for expression Cust, 51 and 32, for dimension value AIROUTE.

If collapsed, what do you expect to see then? The sum of both values? Then use

=sum(YOURFIELDUSED)

Or avg(), max(), min() etc.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe your expression can't be evaluated to an unambiguous value when collapsed? What are you using as expressions? Do you use aggregation functions in your expressions?

Not applicable
Author

That's what's so confusing - they are not expressions. I do all that work in my SQL statement, e.g.:

(SELECT

COALESCE(COUNT(EMPLOYEES.ID),0)

FROM dbo.Employees

WHERE

Employees.StartDate >= '$(vReportStart)'

AND

Employees.StartDate <= '$(vReportEnd)'

) as EMP

So the value should always be an integer; if there were no employees added, the COALESCE function converts the null value to 0. How could I use an aggr expression on what should just be an integer? If you have a suggestion, I'll try it!

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Not sure if I understand.

Well, you've got two values e.g. for expression Cust, 51 and 32, for dimension value AIROUTE.

If collapsed, what do you expect to see then? The sum of both values? Then use

=sum(YOURFIELDUSED)

Or avg(), max(), min() etc.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, my friend, you are correct as always.