Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Change null values to "0"

Hi Guys

I need to change null values "-" to "0". How can i do this?

Table.png

Where "Css_Total" and "Cyl_Total" is from different tables, linked by the common field "Date".

Can anybody suggest a solution to this problem?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi

This can also be done via a formula, specifically using ALT, as per my example below;

ALT( Sum(Value)/Sum(Orders), 0 )

ALT basically evaluates the first formula and if it does not come back with a legitimate answer then it will simply calculate the next formula instead.

Therefore, in my example, should Sum(Orders) = 0 for some reason, then Sum(Value)/Sum(Orders) will return NULL.  The ALT function will therefore result in the second formula being used, in this case '0'.

I hope this is of some help - or at least enlightening.

Regards

Steve

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You can try replacing the Null symbol with '0' instead of '-'. For this, go to Properties--Presentation tab and in bottom left corner, you can change it:

Null.bmp

Hope this helps!

Not applicable
Author

there are two ways

1) in chart--> presentation tab -->Null symbol--> write 0

2) if(css_Total='-',0,css_Total)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

yes Shyamal you are right !! it works thanks.

Not applicable
Author

Hi

This can also be done via a formula, specifically using ALT, as per my example below;

ALT( Sum(Value)/Sum(Orders), 0 )

ALT basically evaluates the first formula and if it does not come back with a legitimate answer then it will simply calculate the next formula instead.

Therefore, in my example, should Sum(Orders) = 0 for some reason, then Sum(Value)/Sum(Orders) will return NULL.  The ALT function will therefore result in the second formula being used, in this case '0'.

I hope this is of some help - or at least enlightening.

Regards

Steve

Not applicable
Author

I tried both methods. The first its working, but the value is not a number that i can manipulate. (I mean, i need to consider all data as numbers).

See the image below (strings on left and numbers on right side):

Table_New.png

The "NullField" is a test that i did:

NULLASVALUE *; 

SET NullValue ='0' ;

LOAD

null() AS NullField,

So, the conclusion until now is.. this null in the table is different from the Null().. i think that is something like "missing data". Any Idea?

Thanks

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Stephen. But basically ALT works just for Null() values in the fields. My problem is missing data.

For example: In some months, doesn't exists any values, so.. this null is different from the Null() value in datafields.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Not applicable
Author

hi

try to use your expression inside num() ,

like this

num(expression field)

then display all in number

Not applicable
Author

Thank you, but itn't work yet.

I think this would be a good solution for Null() in data fields, but my problem is null caused by missing data.

Any other suggestion?

karolina_
Creator II
Creator II

editted to add: to have 0 for missing data you can add in reload script
if(Len([FieldName_])>0,[FiledName_],'0') AS [FieldName]

In the presentation tab you can set null symbol and missing symbol (not sure when it works so I added above for load script)
You should also change Aligment for Data (Text) to be the same as Data (numeric)