Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Coloring a pie chart

GroupCount
R147
A153
G20

I have a straight table similar to above that I want to turn into a pie chart.

The Group column is derived from a calculated dimension that does an if statement on the difference between two dates.

The Count column is the expression, it's a simple count of rows.

I want to color the pie chart Red for the R rows, Yellow for the A rows and Green for the G rows but I can't figure out how to do it. Please can someone help?

I'm afraid I can't post my worksheet because it contains sensitive data.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

Ok use this for the count. So try this and let me know.

LOAD

if(Round(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) > 30, 'G',

if(Round(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) <= 29 and Round(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) > 0, 'A',

if(Round(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) <= 0, 'R'))) As Group,

Count(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) As Count;

SQL SELECT a.duedate AS 'Pep due date' FROM dbname.dbo.tablename;

And try those fields in the Pie chart.

Thanks,

V.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

Hi Mark,

Just try this if it works.

In the Chart properties after you select the Pie chart go to Expression tab -> click on + sign then you can see background property double click and give the below expression:

= If(Group = 'R', Red(),

If(Group = 'A', Yellow(),

IF(Group = 'G', Green())))

Then try it out, we can change the RGB colors accordingly.

Thanks,
V.

Not applicable
Author

Hi V,

Thanks for the reply.

I have given the calculated dimension a Label of "Group" but when I try to add this in the background color expression QlikView says "bad field name(s): Group".

How do I set the calculated dimension to be called "Group"?

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

Hello Mark,

I am not sure if we can do that. Cos it is a calculated dimension right. Can you do this at script level i mean giving the if condition in the script and name it as Group. If not can you send me a screen shot of that if condition you are using??

Thanks,
V.

Not applicable
Author

Hello,

I can do it in the load script but I'm trying to teach myself as much about Qlikview scripting as I can.

Here's the calculated dimension:

=if(Round(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) > 30, 'G',

if(Round(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) <= 29 and Round(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) > 0, 'A',

if(Round(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) <= 0, 'R')))

As you can see I'm comparing a due date against today's date and setting it to either R/A/G depending on how many days ahead or behind schedule it is.

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

Hello Mark,

As it is a calculated dimension, we can use this if statements in the Expression tab Background color but it will be a lot of overhead using multiple if statements. I would suggest to use this if statements in side the script and then use the fields accordingly in the pie chart.

For example you are getting data from a table with fields like [Pep due date], PepNumber lets say. The script will be like

LOAD

if(Round(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) > 30, 'G',

if(Round(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) <= 0, 'R'))) As Group,

Pepnumber

FROM <Your table name> ;

Then use this in the pie chart.

Dimension: Group

Expression: Count(PepNumber)

[In the expression click on + sign then in the background color property give the if statement i have sent earlier].

Hope this helps. Please let me know if i have not made it clear.

Thanks,
V.

Not applicable
Author

I really appreciate your help. Going a bit off topic here... you've put "FROM <Your table name> ; at the end of your LOAD script. Should this be a temporary table or QVD?

I am loading data from a SQL table into the report.

My load script looks like this:

SQL SELECT a.duedate AS 'Pep due date' FROM dbname.dbo.tablename

What should I do to apply the LOAD script you posted after this to create the Group and Pepnumber fields?

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

Hello Mark,

Try this and Let me know. Can you tell me the on which field you are using the Count() function to count the rows??

LOAD

Pepnumber ;

// The Pepnumber I have used is my presumption that you have a field coming from SQL.Or is it just duedate coming from the SQL table.

Let me know.

Thanks,

V

Not applicable
Author

There's no field called Pepnumber coming from the db. Just a field called duedate that I have given the alias "Pep due date" in the load script to make it clearer for users.

On the expression I am doing:

=Count(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD'))

vishsaggi
Champion III
Champion III

Ok use this for the count. So try this and let me know.

LOAD

Count(date((date([Pep due date], 'DD/MM/YYYY') - date(Now(), 'DD/MM/YYYY')),'DD')) As Count;

And try those fields in the Pie chart.

Thanks,

V.