Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Florentin74
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Combo chart with no dimensions

A customer of mine want to have a specific combo chart, which I have been unable to solve..

I have attached an image of how the customer wants the combo chart to look like.

The X axes is conditional expressions where the customer has selected what he wants to see...  It is possible to choose from 6 compare budgets (where the user must select Budget version + year and month).. 4 different actual compare years + month..

Based on the above selections in the QV app, the expressions show the LTM (last twelve months) sum of "what ever".

The customer can then see for example "LTM jan 2016 Actual) compared to " LTM jan 2016 Budget1", "LTM jan 2015 Actual", "LTM jan 2015 budget2"  and "LTM jan 2016 budget2"..

I have made an expression for each possible selection... So.. 6 budgets, 4 actuals... They are conditionally enabled, if the user has selected a Year + month and a budget name from a listbox... ect...

So far so good.. all of this work ... BUT... the problem is then ... the customer wants to se how much of the "sum" came from the "Total sum" in percentage.. This should be shown in the same chart as a Line.... (see attached image which is not from QV.. this image is what the customer sent me when he was trying to illustrate what he wants)...  Since I do not have a dimension that the line can be "drawn over", I do not know how to solve this... The percentage calculation could basically be 10 identical calculations where the only difference is that I divide the sum with the total sum... But then the line will not be a single line drawn between the "expressions"... But 10 dots on the same x axes spot....

What would be needed to solve this issue would be a single dimension to show the line chart over... But how.. My set analysis is based on Date > addmonths(max(date),-12) and <=max(date).... This would give me an issue showing the year dimension.... Since LTM could be running over more than one year... I have tried solving it with the "AsOfYear" method... And then showing the AsOfYear as the dimension... But with no success... Further more... What years should be selected from the set analysis in the "Line chart"... I have tried with a rangemin and max to find the min date and max date... Then the set analysis tells me what timeinterval I should show in the line chart (LTM from year x to year y)... But the figures are not correct with this method...

Is there any easy solution to this issue?? I would like to know... (I have been thinking of a calculated dimension as well, but it seems to be very  very performace demanding, and I am unsure if it is a possible solution for this issue)...

Help if you can..

Regards,

Anders

So for example: Customer w 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Is there any easy solution to this issue??

Not afaik. I think you need to use a synthetic dimension using the ValueList function for this and one that's calculated dynamically based on the user selections. Then you need to use two expressions that calculate the right expression for each value of the synthetic dimension. It's rather complicated, but I reckon it should be possible.

ValueList() – For those tricky situations

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Is there any easy solution to this issue??

Not afaik. I think you need to use a synthetic dimension using the ValueList function for this and one that's calculated dynamically based on the user selections. Then you need to use two expressions that calculate the right expression for each value of the synthetic dimension. It's rather complicated, but I reckon it should be possible.

ValueList() – For those tricky situations

Florentin74
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

I got it working... Thanks gwassenaar ... It got pretty complex with my the dynamic dimension and expression... But... got it working ...

Anders

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Well done. I hope it's worth it and doesn't impact performance too badly.

Florentin74
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

The impact is not that bad...