Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Common Variable use without Joins

I have the following set up

The variable from SalesDetail called Project gives the same output as ProjectCWT from the CWT table (I.E X123). I do not want to use joins or concatenations here. What I need to be able to do is- in the application when I select a Project filter- I need the CWT sheet to only display data where ProjectCWT=Selected Project.

Please help..

7 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

I do not want to use joins or concatenations here

Why? There is almost never a valid reason to do this. What problem do you think you need to solve by throwing Qlikview's strength out the window.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

I initially attempted to use a join but there are so many varibles that are named the same but aren't. like Sales Order number is T$Order in its table and Purchase Order is also T$Order in its table. I have not been able to get Qlik to only join the single Project variable. I end up with a barrage of synthetic keys that I do not want.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Rename fields if they are not the same thing. There's no excuse to use T$Order for both Sales Order and Purchase Order. They're not the same and at least as important T$Order is not a descriptive name that tells a user something meaningful about the values in the field.

Not applicable
Author

So.. I don't disagree with you but that's what they are called in their respective table files which is built to match our system tables. I didn't name them that way and I don't have a way to control that aspect. The best I can do is what I've set up.. In the one tab, where I am pulling the PO table I have T$Order As PO and in the SO tab - T$Order As SO.

I need another method to complete this task.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

So you're saying you do have the rights to change the script of the document, but you're not allowed to rename fields in the script? That's just plain silly if true.

Not applicable
Author

Perhaps we are speaking two different issues. The table files I am pulling in have this view..

I can't change the T$ORNO. I can label it such as this:

But if I try to do a left join (Which I have). It creates a synthetic key off of T$ORNO and T$OPRJ$C. That is the part I don't want. I just need the Project to join but it appears that because both variables are coming from the table as T$ORNO... it wants to marry them.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

LOAD

T$ORNO As [Sales Order]

Yeah, that's renaming the field T$ORNO to Sales Order.

And you can still do a left join if you rename fields. The new names will be used to join the tables. So if you want to join two tables only on the Project field then in both tables rename the field T$OPRJ$C to Project. And rename T$ORNO to Sales Order in one table and to Purchase Order in the other table so those fields are not used to join the tables.