Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Conditional Line Style not working when >1 Expressions Enabled

Hi,

I have a chart with two expressions,one for 2016, one for 2017 (and possibly more will be added later). Both expressions use the same Metric, [Gross Value of Sales]. The expressions have line style set to:

If([Week_Commencing]>vThisWeek,'<s3>','<s1>')

so that if the data displayed is for a week greater than the date the qvw was last reloaded (ie it's a forecast), then the line style will be dashed, not solid.

In addition, each expression is conditional on whether that year is selected in a list box, using respectively:

GetFieldSelections(WSSI_Year)like '*2016*'

GetFieldSelections(WSSI_Year)like '*2017*'

MY ISSUE:

if only one year is selected, in the list box, the line style works as intended. If both years are selected at the same time, both years display, but both with their lines all solid (<s1>). Note that data was last reloaded Week 46, 2016

Any help/ideas much appreciatedLineStyleIssue.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

So you basically have 1 dimension (week) and three expressions, right? and you are using the same line style expression for all three of them?

If([Week_Commencing]>vThisWeek,'<s3>','<s1>')

I am not sure what your expression for each of the year is, but you need to use same set analysis in your line style expression

If(Only({<SetAnalysis4m2016Exp>}[Week_Commencing]) > vThisWeek, '<s3>', '<s1>')

If(Only({<SetAnalysis4m2017Exp>}[Week_Commencing]) > vThisWeek, '<s3>', '<s1>')

2017Forecast

If(Only({<SetAnalysis4m2017ForecExp>}[Week_Commencing]) > vThisWeek, '<s3>', '<s1>')

View solution in original post

12 Replies
sunny_talwar

How do you define vThisWeek? Seems like a variable to me

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny,

Yes, it's a variable which is assigned in the Load Script, and in this case is 31/10/2016. I'm fairly certain that the way this variable is assigned is not the problem, as when only one of my expressions is conditionally shown, Week_Commencing (field in my main data table) evaluates against it and gives the expected result (ie a dashed line for all dates after this date).

Cheers,

Dan

sunny_talwar

Another quick question.... You mentioned when two years are selected you see this issue. What happens when no year is selected? all the years are available for viewing?

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny,

When no years are selected, nothing at all is displayed on the chart (other than the message "all expressions disabled"). This is the intended and expected behaviour - each expression being conditional on its year being selected, no expression will be displayed when no years are selected.

sunny_talwar

Can you do this

1) Create a copy of your chart

2) remove any show conditions

3) convert this into a straight table

4) create two new expressions

[Week_Commencing] and

vThisWeek

5) see how these two expression behave based on your selection in year. Does one of the two expression become null when you select 2 years?

Not applicable
Author

Yes, Week_Commencing becomes null when >1 year is selected. I think you might be onto something here. Any further advice/solutions? Many Thanks for your help so far

sunny_talwar

Create another expression:

Concat(DISTINT [Week_Commencing], ', ')

Does it show up with multiple values? or is it still null?

Not applicable
Author

It now shows up with multiple values, yes.

sunny_talwar

Can you share what those values are? Even better if you can post a screenshot