Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Container Object Confusion?

I am using QlikView 10 for the first time and trying to put a few charts into a container object. This works fine, except that besides the new "containerized" version of my charts, I still have the old objects on the page. I can minimize them without affecting the container version, but really, I don't want these "extra" ones to appear at all, even in minimized form. If I try to delete them, they also affect the container version. I am sure I am just overlooking something silly here.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

Aaron

I've noticed that you have found one way to solve your problem of removing the original sheet object once included in a container. You can also use DELETE on the original sheet object if you build the container via the property dialog. When you use the delete on an object that has an instance inside a container you will be prompted with a message to the effect of

Ø Remove Just The Selected Instance

Ø Remove All Instances

Ø Cancel

Contained objects are actually LINKED instances of the original sheet object, meaning you can change the properties of one instance (logic, format, positioning) and have the same change reflected on all other linked instances. Attached is a document we provided with the beta program outlining Linked Objects and Containers - we are making this content available on QC as part of the Wiki.

Regards

John Trigg

Global Product Manager - QlikView Desktop

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

OK, I figured it out. If you assign the objects thru properties, the objects will still appear in the regular real estate. If the objects are DRAGGED AND DROPPED to the tab area of the container, they minimize out-of-sight when not selected. A little quirky, but it works.

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

Aaron

I've noticed that you have found one way to solve your problem of removing the original sheet object once included in a container. You can also use DELETE on the original sheet object if you build the container via the property dialog. When you use the delete on an object that has an instance inside a container you will be prompted with a message to the effect of

Ø Remove Just The Selected Instance

Ø Remove All Instances

Ø Cancel

Contained objects are actually LINKED instances of the original sheet object, meaning you can change the properties of one instance (logic, format, positioning) and have the same change reflected on all other linked instances. Attached is a document we provided with the beta program outlining Linked Objects and Containers - we are making this content available on QC as part of the Wiki.

Regards

John Trigg

Global Product Manager - QlikView Desktop

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I must have been clicking the wrong option on the message when deleting the prior object. WIth my new understanding, it is working properly either way I build the object. Thanks for the clarification.

Not applicable
Author

Hi John,

I am working with the containers and I really like the feature.

I just have one problem, by mistake I opened my QV file in an old QV version, where correctly the containers are not shown.

It seems however that when re-opening the document in QV 10, all my containers + the linked objects are lost, as I removed just the Selected Instance

Am I doing something wrong, or is this really the expected behaviour? Worst case I guess is that I have to re-build these charts and containers.....

Thanks for your help!

Adi

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

Did you save the QVW in the older version? If so then that is probably the culprit. if you simply closed without saving any changes in the older version I wouldnt expect the container to be erased when you open in V10. Sorry but if the former use case that is 'expected' behavior

Not applicable
Author

Thanks John, that must have been the issue of saving 😞
Not applicable
Author

Hi Adi,

I've noticed the same thing when opening QVWs through Windows Explorer, as my default is v9. By the time I noticed that I had a v10 QVW with container objects open in v9 (hence the objects were deleted) I quickly closed my file without saving it. Unfortunately, the autosave settings you have might have already saved the file over, with the container object deleted.

Seeing it is quite a hassle to copy/paste container objects from one QVW to another (I had a copy of my original file), I now always keep a (hidden) tab with the original objects rather than delete them completely. Set the conditional show on that tab to 1=0 and it hides it. You can re-access the tab if you need to via the Sheets tab in the Document Properties.

Otherwise, copying a container object from one app to another exact copy of the same app only copies the container object, not all the smaller objects associated to the container object.

Just a necessary workaround when using 2 version. I learnt the hard way.

Not applicable
Author

Container behavior seems to be extremely quirky and underdocumented.

John, could you ask someone to expand section 45 of the QlikView Reference Manual?  Five pages does not even begin to cover the subject.

I think that when someone does experiments to document the behavior, they'll find quite a number of things that are only partially implemented.  Copy&Paste, drag&drop are VERY perverse in QV11 SR1 containers.

For instance, I found that that dragging an object to move it to another position on the container's grid often drops the object outside the container instead.  (The workaround hint to drop the object back on the tab area of the container was very welcome.)  And I have had several Text objects (Representation as Image) be duplicated multiple times below the container when the container is dragged. Copying a container to another QlikView application is an excercise in frustration.  It doesn't even recognize the clipboard has data.  I have to copy the objects then rebuild & repopulate the container.

The Image stretch, fill with Aspect and other image controls seem to conflict when there is a nested container.  Example: Simulate a simple warning dialog with a text wrapped icon.  Create a 2 row container with a 2 column container in the upper row.  Put Text objects in each cell.  The one in the left column of the container in the top row is the icon with an Image representation.  The right column is a Text object with title of the error.  The bottom row contains a Text object with the body of the warning message.  If you can get left column scaled to use approx. 20% of the width without the icon blurring and disappearing intermittently, it might be a minor miracle.  And that is when 'No Stretch' is selected in both container levels.

Objects in containers fail to render unpredictably but frequently.  Sometimes they partially render. Forcing a refresh by switching tabs can cause them to re-appear.

The Grid was a nice step but it needs a visible outline mode and/or resizing handles.