cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Converting SQL results (typically excel) to QVD to be used in QlikV

Hi,

I need to run a SQL script on an external database and then translate these results into .qvd to use in QlikView.  I have searched the community to understand how to do this.  There is lots and lots of information out there and I am getting a little confused.  Does anyone have or know of a demo I could watch to better understand how to run the full process?

Cheers,

Laura

39 Replies
fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Laura, how are you?

You can run this sql in qlikview script and then store into a .qvd, all of this in qlikview

Try this:

Test:

LOAD *;

SQL SELECT

"your sql script";

Store *  from Test into TestSQL.QVD(QVD);

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In qlikview you can run sql native and get the result and then store as qvd

Hope help, Fernando

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

thanks Fernando.  I was running the script in a separate SQL tool called Razor.  So are you saying I don't need to do this?  I can be using SQL native that is provided within QlikView?  If yes,  where do I go to use SQL native within QlikView please?

fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Laura, you can do this in Qlikview

In the script editor, when you put "SQL SELECT" the next will be the sql and qlikview knows that you will put direct the sql

for example see the image attached.

you see and example, that put direct the sql that i want.

hope helps, tell me if you need something!

Fernando

Siva_Sankar
Master II
Master II

Laura,

You can create the QVD from select query by using STORE command, please find below the sample script

Data:

select c .CustomerID, p.productID ,p. ProductName from Customers c, Products p;n.

STORE Data FROM QVDFileName.qvd;

If you have installed qlikview, go to edit script by pressing Ctrl + E to access Edit script window. Then write your sql and use store command like above and reload the dashboard pressing Ctrl + R. once the reload is completed, the qvd will be created and it will be found in the same path where your qvw file is saved.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

thanks Fernando,  I understand now.

I'II give it a go.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

thanks Shankarece.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Again,

I am having issues directly connecting to the external database due to security reasons.  Whist I wait for a resolve can you please tell me how to convert an excel file to a .qvd file ?

Siva_Sankar
Master II
Master II

Siva_Sankar
Master II
Master II