Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hoowling
Contributor III
Contributor III

Coping with negative values in waterfall chart

Hi Community, 

I'm trying to make a waterfall chart showing the dollar change between two periods. 
I normally do this via the bar offset function in the expression tab and simpy deduct each added expression from the total, as in below example: 

clipboard_image_0.png

But in this chart the values might be negative OR positive given the period selection (i.e. the values might have increased or decreased between two dates). Using the above expression does not align the bars since both negative and positive values are present. 

How do I cope with negative values in the waterfall chart? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hoowling
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

The solution for my problem was to deduct the each column repectively using the column()-function. 

E.g. for the 5th bar in the chart, I used Column(1)+Column(2)+Column(3)+Column(4). Worked perfectly.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
settu_periasamy
Master III
Master III

Can you provide the sample and expected result?

Hoowling
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Basically, the data is organized and the chart looks as below: 

clipboard_image_0.png

The expected result is: 

clipboard_image_1.png

marcus_sommer

I think you need to relate the offset against the previous bar(s) and not against the total. For this you could try something like this:

rangesum(above(sum(Value), 0, rowno()))

Depending on your dimensions the above() and rowno() might need an additionally TOTAL statement.

- Marcus

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Philip, did Marcus' suggestion work for you?  If so, please consider using the Accept as Solution button to mark his post such that he gets credit and others will know that worked for you.  I did some digging, but I could not really find anything else that would be of any help on this one.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Hoowling
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

The solution for my problem was to deduct the each column repectively using the column()-function. 

E.g. for the 5th bar in the chart, I used Column(1)+Column(2)+Column(3)+Column(4). Worked perfectly.