Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwarren1
Partner - Contributor III

Create Master Item - Dimension or Metric?

I have an "Amount" field that is comprised of about 20 categories. I want to add a master item that shows the "Amount" for only 3 of those fields instead of all 20. I can do this successfully by adding a filter, but I am trying to create a master item (Dimension or Metric) formula that will do this automatically.

3 Replies
othniel2014
Contributor III
Contributor III

Could you give an example?

Oleg_Troyansky
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

The "Master Item" is part of the Qlik Sense terminology. In QlikView, we don't have "Master Items" - only chart Dimensions and chart Expressions, managed individually in each chart.

If you need to limit the scope of the data that's going to be aggregated, without using selections, - then you need to use Set Analysis. That's the technique of limiting the scope "programmatically" - within an expression, without the need in selecting anything.

It's impossible to explain Set Analysis in a forum post, but you can look it up - in the Help section, in white papers, or in books (including my book QlikView Your Business). You can also learn Set Analysis at a few advanced training venues, including the Masters Summit for Qlik, where I teach Set Analysis and Advanced Aggregation.

cheers,

Oleg Troyansky

Upgrade your Qlik skills at the Masters Summit for Qlik - coming soon to Austin, TX and Johannesburg, South Africa!

kwarren1
Author

Reviewing the Qlik Sense Training Doc I received during the Create Visualization Instructor Led Online Class "Set Modifier" section on Page 147 or the following link

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/3.0/Subsystems/Hub/Content/ChartFunctions/SetAnalysis/set-modifier...

Helped me put together the following set expressions to work for my situation. I will try to provide an example next time I have a question. Thanks!

Income

Sum( {$<Category = {'Income', 'Interest Income', 'Paycheck','Federal Tax','State Tax'}>} Amount)

Expenses

Sum( {$<[Transaction Type] = {'debit'}, Category =- {'Charity','Credit Card Payment','Deposit','Financial','Financial Advisor','Transfer'}>} Amount)