Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating Year from Given Dates

Hello All,

I am having a field say CreatedOn, I am trying to create Academic Year with the following expression:

if(date(createdon,'DD/MMM/YYYY')>='01/Oct/2013' and date(createdon,'DD/MMM/YYYY')<='31/Aug/2014', 'AY 2014',

if(date(createdon,'DD/MMM/YYYY')>='01/Sep/2014' , 'AY 2015')) as @AcademicYear

It working but I am not getting my data accurate.

Could some body suggest why it is?

Is their any syntax issue?

Regards,

Balraj

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarcoWedel

you are comparing dates as strings so the resulat fo the comparison is not what you intended to do.

try like

if(createdon>=Date#('01/Oct/2013', 'DD/MMM/YYYY') and createdon<=Date#('31/Aug/2014', 'DD/MMM/YYYY'), 'AY 2014',

if(createdon>=Date#('01/Sep/2014', 'DD/MMM/YYYY') , 'AY 2015')) as @AcademicYear

hope this helps

regards

Marco

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Provide sample data or apps...

jvitantonio
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi, Try this:

CALENDAR:

LOAD

CreatedOn,

if(createdon >= YearStart(createdon, 0,10) AND createdon <= YearEnd(createdon,0,10), YEAR(YEARSTART(createdon,0,10))+1) as @AcademicYear ;

I hope it helps.

JV

MarcoWedel

you are comparing dates as strings so the resulat fo the comparison is not what you intended to do.

try like

if(createdon>=Date#('01/Oct/2013', 'DD/MMM/YYYY') and createdon<=Date#('31/Aug/2014', 'DD/MMM/YYYY'), 'AY 2014',

if(createdon>=Date#('01/Sep/2014', 'DD/MMM/YYYY') , 'AY 2015')) as @AcademicYear

hope this helps

regards

Marco

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

You are comparing numeric dates to text dates.

For your hard coded dates use something like :

date(date#('01/Oct/2013' ,'DD/MMM/YYYY') ,'DD/MMM/YYYY')

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Marco

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Or something like this may be more elegant :

=if ( (month( today())  ) >=  10 , year(today()) , ( year(today() ) - 1 ) )

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Bill,

thanks for your response.

I am following a cycle from September to August. For this fiscal year we do not have September, so we are following from Oct- Aug.

But for next fiscal year we will be following Sept-Aug.

I have CreatedOn Field with Date values, is it possible to create Dynamic fiscal year from this field with the cycle Sept-Aug
??

Regards,

Balraj