Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Creating prj Folder

Hi Gurus,

I am trying to create a copy of a file which I am not able to open in my laptop due to limited resources. I know that I cud recreate a file from prj folder. But to create prj folder I need to open and save. That is how I create prj folders.

Is there a way to create prj folders without needing to open them ?

Please let me know your thoughts,

Thanks is Advance,

Sree

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Make a copy of the file, then open the copy from the command line with the /nodata option: "c:\program files\qlikview\qv.exe" /nodata "d:\myqvapps\copy of myapp.qvw". This will open the document without data. That way it should fit in your machines ram.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

Make a copy of the file, then open the copy from the command line with the /nodata option: "c:\program files\qlikview\qv.exe" /nodata "d:\myqvapps\copy of myapp.qvw". This will open the document without data. That way it should fit in your machines ram.

Not applicable
Author

Export QlikView application (QVW) file to a PRJ folder

1. Create a folder named the same way as QlikView application with -PRJ as suffix, in the same folder as the QlikView application. For example if the application file is named MyApplication the project folder sould be named MyApplication-PRJUser-added image
  2. Open the QlikView application that you want to export to a PRJ Folder.
  3. Press Save (or Ctrl+S) to trigger the export of the application content to the PRJ folder.
  4. Open the PRJ folder in a file explorer window to confirm the content has been exported. The folder should contain XML and TXT files corresponding to the objects and properties in the QlikView application.

NOTE1: The content will only be exported to the PRJ folder every time the QVW file is saved

NOTE2: The PRJ folder will not contain data, which also includes variable values

Recreate QlikView application (QVW) file from the PRJ folder

1. If the QVW still exists, rename it to something that does not match the PRJ folder name. For example add a underscore to the file name, mainly to enable reverting to the original file if required later. User-added image
  2. Open QlikView desktop client
  3. Create a new document
  4. Save the document with the same name as the PRJ Folder. For example so that you get a file structure as the image below. User-added image
  5. Close the QlikView application, without saving the document again if prompted. This triggers importing the data from the PRJ folder to the QVW file.
  6. Reopen the QVW file to validate that the file has been restored.
Not applicable
Author

Variable values are not stored in the project folder XML files, hence it is not possible to recover them if the QVW file gets deleted or corrupted.

To prevent the loss of variable values, the current variables can be exported to a QVD during application reload. The QVD can then later be used to recover the previous variable values.

Store all application variables to QVD file

The below script loads all defined variables from the AllProperties.XML file in the QlikView project (PRJ) folder. This script should be loaded along with the application linked to the PRJ folder, since the variable values are stored in that QVW file. All the variables found in the AllProperties.XML are extracted and stored into a QVD file called Variables.qvd.

To be on the safe side this script could be included all reloads, so that the variables can be restored even if the QVW file gets corrupted or deleted.

VariableNames:

LOAD Name AS VariableName

FROM [MyApplication-prj\AllProperties.xml] (XmlSimple, Table is [AllProperties/VariableProperties/VariableProperties]);

FOR i=0 TO NoOfRows('VariableNames')

LET varName = Peek('VariableName', $(i), 'VariableNames');           

LET varValue = $(varName);

Variables:

LOAD

'$(varName)' AS VariableName,

'$(varValue)' AS VariableValue

AutoGenerate 1;                    

NEXT

STORE Variables INTO Variables.qvd (QVD);

DROP Tables VariableNames, Variables;

Restore all application variables from a QVD file

The variables stored in the QVD file in the above example can be restored by the principle below. The QVD is loaded and then the variables are picked out one by one and defined in the application. This script should only be executed on loads where the variables should be recovered.

Variables:

LOAD VariableName,

VariableValue

FROM Variables.qvd (qvd);

FOR i=0 TO NoOfRows('Variables')

LET vVar = Peek('VariableName', $(i), 'Variables');

LET vVal = Peek('VariableValue', $(i), 'Variables');

LET '$(vVar)' = '$(vVal)';

NEXT

Not applicable
Author

Hi, I am unable to export the files into TEST_QVW-PRJ after saving & reload my file. I got this file from some other team and Is there any settings I need to enable ?

Not applicable
Author

Thanks a lot Gysbert.

Exactly what I was looking for. It worked for me !!

KumaRan
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Gybsert

i am trying to create prj folder in separate drive in a same machine.its not working..Is there any solution for this?

Gysbert_Wassenaar

No, the -proj folder has to be in the same place as the .qvw document

KumaRan
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thank you Gybsert

mcrookucsd
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone had an issue with saving QVW's containing Container objects using a -prj folder?  Every time I do the save just hangs as a tmp file.