cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
onetwothree123
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Data Model Question

I have a set of tables, some with data for everyday, some with weekly and some with monthly data. I want to link all of these tables to the calendar, but I dont want to connect these tables to each other,
(i.e) I don't want the Daily  table1 to be associated with Daily table2 or the Daily table3, but all 3 of them have Daily dates that need to be connected to the calendar.  How can I make this happen?
As an extension to this question, how do I define a set of dimension tables, and link each of the above Fact tables to the dimensions, without concatenating/joining/link table-ing the individual fact tables?

Table Structure :
T1 T2 T3 T4 T5   five tables

T1 T2 T3 - Daily dates tables

T4 - Weekly

T5 - Monthly

1 Reply
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

AJ

Concantenating the fact data into a single fact table is usually the best way to solve this sort of problem, so you need to have a very compelling reason for doing it the way you propose. You would differentiate between the different data sets by using one or more grouping fields - for example, you could use a field TableGroup, with possible values T1, T2, T3... then use set analysis to select the correct data for the charts. This solves the problem with synthetic keys, data loops and multiple copies of attribute and calendar tables that you are likely to need,

Ultimately, this would lead to a simpler solution, simpler expressions, simpler operation and simpler maintenance.

But perhaps you have a good reason....

Regards

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein