Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Data Modelling

Hi

I have created a star schema data model by concaternating several tables.

The document reloads fine but when I check my Fact table in table view some of the data is missing but these fields contain data in the source table.

2015-02-24_20-10-51.png

Please advise on how I can resolve this?

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I think my attachment wasn't properly attached. Here it is

Not applicable
Author

It's partially because you're using CONCATENATE I believe... if these tables have relationships you should be using JOINS so the tables match on fields they share.   CONCATENATE simply mushes the tables together ignoring any matches.   See here... Understanding Join, Keep and Concatenate  For instance, you have a handful of tables that all have a field Customer which they would link on using a join.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tumelo,

You probably have done the correct thing by CONCATENATING all fact table.

It basically depends upon how do you want to analyze your data. In your current scenario if you write the expression like sum(NetSalesValue) and create a graph with some dimensions, you will get the correct results.

On the other hand if you join the tables which doesn't have the same granularity (no of dimensions) then your data may get duplicated and after aggregating you will get wrong results.

CONCATENATING fact tables which share at some common dimension is a suggested solution.

Hope this helps,

Anosh

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Anosh!