Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Date comparison does not work in LOAD!!!

Hi,

Happy holidays!!!

I am trying to create a new data field based upon result of date comparison. It does not work the way I expected.  The LEFT JOIN LOAD gave me the duplicate records. The code and the screenshot are as below. I would like to know what I did wrong. Thanks

left join (Asthmap_patients)
load HOSPITALACCOUNTID,
if(isnull(IMMUNE_DATE),0,1) as FlushotFlag
if (
isnull(IMMUNE_DATE),'No',
if(IMMUNE_DATE <admitdts, 'Before', if(IMMUNE_DATE<=DischargeDT and IMMUNE_DATE >=admitdts, 'InHospital','After'))
)
as FlushotTime
Resident Asthmap_patients;

qlikviewscreenshot-1.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No, you don't need a JOIN because you try to join Asthmap_Patients to itself. Avoid JOINs if you can, they take too much time and eat memory.

Stefan is right, use a Preceding Load or add the new field while copying asthmap_patients to a temporary copy, then drop the original and rename the temporary copy (which in effect is the same as a Preceding Load)

For example:

TempAsthmap_patients:

noconcatenate load *,
,if (
if(IMMUNE_DATE <admitdts, 'Before', if(IMMUNE_DATE<=DischargeDT and IMMUNE_DATE >=admitdts, 'InHospital','After'))
) as FlushotTime
Resident
Asthmap_patients;

DROP Table Asthmap_patients;

RENAME Table TempAsthmap_patients to Asthmap_patients;

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

5 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

There is probably a Join key missing, what about IMMUNE_DATE? I would also consider a preceding load instead of the join.

Not applicable
Author

If I removed the new data field statement (see below), there are only two records instead of four.

left join (Asthmap_patients)
load HOSPITALACCOUNTID,
Resident Asthmap_patients;

It looks like the statement below cuased this problem.

,if (
)
as FlushotTime

The IMMUNE_DATE is used to determine when flu shot is administered by comparing with admission date and discharge date. I have to use join since the data came from two different databases - Oracle and SQL server.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

No, you don't need a JOIN because you try to join Asthmap_Patients to itself. Avoid JOINs if you can, they take too much time and eat memory.

Stefan is right, use a Preceding Load or add the new field while copying asthmap_patients to a temporary copy, then drop the original and rename the temporary copy (which in effect is the same as a Preceding Load)

For example:

TempAsthmap_patients:

noconcatenate load *,
,if (
) as FlushotTime
Resident
Asthmap_patients;

DROP Table Asthmap_patients;

RENAME Table TempAsthmap_patients to Asthmap_patients;

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Peter and Swuehl ,

Your answer solved my problem. Thanks.

Could you please give me more insights about preceding loading and what is the difference between Join and Preceding loading? Thanks again.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

See this blog post: Preceding Load

And this document: Joins and Lookups

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand