Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.
I have some data shown in a pivot table with cycling groups for the dimensions. I run it on a 64 bit W7 and have 8GB RAM installed, when running the Qlik almost 5 GB are free.
Data displays but when I change the date dimension from year to week (even with data for a single day) the memory error occurs. It also does not go away by undoing the selection, I have to reload the qvd to get the data shown again.
On further investigation found that the group item formula for serviceday must be responsible.
I need to show the date in format DD.MM.YYYY and I used the formula =date(Serviceday,'DD.MM.YYYY') in the group item definition.Removing this formula and using Serviceday only works fine. As my serviceday is a date how can I format it in the dimension to suppress the 00:00:00 time?
Noticed also in other cases that I really miss a "Number" formatting for dimensions in tables, they seem to exist only for expressions?
as you've already dicovered the formatting takes up a lot of memory. Instead I would suggest that you create a new field in the load statement i.e.
date(Serviceday,'DD.MM.YYYY') as DisplayedServiceday
The above would enable the object to be shown without allocated memory exceeded, since the calculation already is done in the script.
Consultant at Optivasys | www.optivasys.com
Thanks, I have tried to load the Service_date with
it look however that Qlik still looks at it as a date and shows the zero time values in the dimension
that seems odd, but I know dates kan be tricky. Try looking into the date#() funktion and how you can combine this to get rid of the zero time values. Otherwise; a quick and dirty way of solving it could be using
left(date(Service_Date,'DD.MM.YYYY'),10) as Service_Date
Not the right way, be problably solving your issue 😉
To avoid memory problems it might be necessary to move the formatting of date values into the data script.
But what can I do, when the user is able to change the language of the application including the change of the date format from (e.g.) DD.MM.YYYY to MM-DD-YYYY?
For this case I use something like
date(<field>, $(='DateFormatTime_'&(NLS))) which works BUT then I have the memory problems.
You should be able to set the number format for your field on the document level and not have to change anything in the script.
I use the formular mentioned in my last post in the charts. When I modify the NLS variable the language switches from one to another. Everything works fine. Exception: The date fields in the dimensions of pivot tables. In table charts I can move the date field into the expression area and I have no memory problem. Although from the semantic point of view it is only a workaround and not always a perfect solution.
You may not realize this, but the Date function does not change the internal numerical date, it only chamges the dispaly fomat. You can verify this by putting this expression into a text box =Num(Date(Now(), 'DD.MM.YYYY'))
To get rid of the time component, you should say
I know that the date function only changes the display format.
As described I have a memory problem with date fields in pivot tables and table charts.