Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Different charts for different values - alternate states or other method?

Hi folks,

I have identically structured sets of data which describe parameters of 11 different machines.

Each machine has several modes. Each mode has a couple of parameters that vary with time.

I would like to present a trellis chart for each machine so that within the trellis chart each pair of parameters is plotted against time with a chart for each mode. I think I can do this nicely.

However, I'm not 100% sure of the best way to present multiple trellis charts so that each one shows data from a specific machine.

Can I do some sort of conditional expression to only display data from one machine, or should I create an alternate state for each machine?

The reason I am unhappy about creating 11 alternate states is because I want to make sure that in state "machine1", for example, Machine 1 is always selected and no other machine is, but allow what other selections the user makes (date etc). I'm not entirely sure how to do that. Triggers? It seems to me that a conditional expression would be far less messy, but I can't seem to find examples of it and what I've tried so far hasn't worked*. If the set selection matches my conditional expression then I get the right graph. Otherwise the chart simply says "all expressions disabled". This isn't what I want.

Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I imagine this question must have been asked before, but I can't find the answer.

Thanks in advance

Karen

*in the Conditional box on the Expressions tab I have typed machinename='machine 1'

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You don't need alternate states if you want to fix a selection for a specific field for one chart. Instead you can use a set analysis expression. In the chart for machine1 use something like sum({<MachineId={'machine1'}>}Value) and for the chart for machine2 sum({<MachineId={'machine2'}>}Value) etc. That way the selections in the field MachineID will always ignore user selections and instead use the value specific in the set analysis expression.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

You don't need alternate states if you want to fix a selection for a specific field for one chart. Instead you can use a set analysis expression. In the chart for machine1 use something like sum({<MachineId={'machine1'}>}Value) and for the chart for machine2 sum({<MachineId={'machine2'}>}Value) etc. That way the selections in the field MachineID will always ignore user selections and instead use the value specific in the set analysis expression.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Gysbert. Set analysis! Of course! What was I thinking? Back to the user manual to re-read the set analysis chapter. This is the first time I've needed it. Thank you!