Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Displaying Unicode UTF-8 characters in QlikView

I have a client who stores his data in Simplified Chinese, but it is in Unicode UTF-8 format. If it is in ASCII I can display it fine in QlikView, but unfortunately for operational reasons they must use the Unicode set. Does anyone know if there is a way to display this correctly?

Thanks in advance

Trevor Doble

12 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Trevordoble,

even I am stucked with same issue, can you please share if you come across any resolution or helpful information on this sofar?

Thank you,

Rajesh.

Not applicable
Author

Having the same problem.  I appreciate any insights you may have in resolving this issue.

Jeff G

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

You can try below.

load * from a.txt (CodePage is 10000, txt, delimiter is ',' , no labels)

Where Code Page  are

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

Kaushik,

thank you for the info.  I've tried to use the UTF-8 unicode but when I do it translates the chinese into wacky characters, not chinese characters.  I used the applycodepage function on the field I have in my data model.

What's weird, and it's stated in my other post, is that while I get blocks in qlikview when I attempt no encoding changes, if I export from the table to Excel the chinese characters show up fine in Excel.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Jeff G

Not applicable
Author

Kaushik,

thank you for the info.  I've tried to use the UTF-8 unicode but when I do it translates the chinese into wacky characters, not chinese characters.  I used the applycodepage function on the field I have in my data model.

What's weird, and it's stated in my other post, is that while I get blocks in qlikview when I attempt no encoding changes, if I export from the table to Excel the chinese characters show up fine in Excel.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Jeff G

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Can you please upload data and qvd file.

That will be helpful for me to understand the problem.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

I solved it...

It appears that Qlikview 9 SR3 at least doesn't behave the same as Excel when translating characters. 

I had to go into Regional and Language Settings in the control panel, Languages tab.

In the Languages tab is a check box for supplemental language support for east asia.  I checked it, rebooted and the characters are showing up correctly now.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jeffrey,

I am writing to you because I am facing a similar issue. I am using ODBC to pull data from a DB2 database in Qlikview. The table contains few columns that are Chinese caracters. I have windows 7 OS on my machine with Qlikview 9 SR6. Itried installing the Asian language on windows butr still problem exists.

I get ODBC error when I try to run the script to create a QVD. If I download the data in to Excel and then load in to Qlivkiew it works. IT also displays Chinese characters.

Can you tell me how you solved the problem ?

1) Are you using the code page function ?

2) Are you using the Asia language setting ?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Mandar

Not applicable
Author

Hi Mandar,

For me it was as simple as what I described above.  I have attached a screenshot.  As far as the ODBC, can you connect to another source or pull in data from another table that doesn't contain Chinese characters?

Have you tried an OLEDB connection to see if that works?  Do you want to upload your QVW code and I can take a look at it?

Here is the screenshot.

languages.bmp