Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Displaying tables on reports in "News paper" format (multi column)

Hi All,

I have a requirement where the report (static) needs to be printed from a table in "compressed" format running multiple columns on a landscape page and then continuing on the next page.  Is there a way of doing this?

i.e. i have a table as below with 3 fields.  This table is 1000+ lines but narrow fields which should be stacked horizontally to minimize paper usage.

NoTale
Reader
1A23R
2ABB65
3BCH
4CD56
5DE2
6EF1
7FHD4
8GWER
9HBV
10IERW
1299QWE1RFW

The result on the report should then look something like this on a landscape A4

NoTaleReaderNo

Tale

ReaderNoTaleReaderNoTaleReader
1A23R6FF111KQ216PS4
2BB567GHD412LH717QJGHJ
3CCH8HWER13MF418RASD
4DD569IBV14ND619SYTE
5EE210JERW15OG720T

MG

There might also be a requirement to have a heading in certain places to group data ie from 1-7 heading Group A, 8-14 heading Group B and so forth.

I am at a bit of a loss as to how this can be done.

9 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Hi,

you can introduce a counter (using the CLASS() function, for instance, or IntervalMatch()) to split that table into groups of approx. a dozen columns and then create a report and in the "report settings" tick the checkbox for splitting it acc. to that field - that will result in a multi-page report.

Alternatively, you would need to split it into several tables and arrange those side-by-side and put them into the report.

HTH

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Gysbert_Wassenaar

As far as I know this can't be done in Qlikview. You can of course export the data and create such a report in MS-Word or a similar text processing application that supports multi-column page layouts.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
marcus_sommer

The best way to save paper and other ressoucres might be not to print these table(s). What is the aim? Especially if you used an optimized approach to fill a page nearly completely - the readability would be quite bad.

An alternatively could also be to print as PDF.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

My problem is the user will do filters based on his criteria.  Both those is used during load and this is real time selection and printing based on the selection from the user.

I thought about using multiple tables but the problem there is the printing.  Each table will print all data from starting point.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

When exporting to excel for instance, how do I then format the data in this way?

Not applicable
Author

Auditing purposes.  Black on white with signatures etc.

Remote distribution of data to the public on paper pamphlets.

marcus_sommer

I would probably use several table-charts with a calculated dimension which returned a limited list of field-values, maybe in this way:

if(match(Dimension,

'$(=mid(concat(distinct Dimension, chr(39) & ', ' & chr(39), Dimension), 1,

index(concat(distinct Dimension, chr(39) & ', ' & chr(39), Dimension),

ceil(count(distinct Dimension) / 3)) - 1))'),

Dimension)

This would be return the list for the first chart if you used 3 charts, for the second and third chart the mid-parameter need to be adjusted. Maybe the syntax fitted not exactly because it's here blindly written - but it worked in general and would be a good starting point for you.

- Marcus

Not applicable
Author

Somewhat helpful yes thanks. Problem still remains on printing, once the 2nd page is printed table 1 will show values allocated to table 2 etc...

marcus_sommer

Why? Create a multipage-report with 3 charts (at first without adjusted dimensions) and check if all 3 charts will be printed beside eachother over several pages - if yes try it with the suggestion above.

- Marcus