Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing Qlik Answers: A plug-and-play, Generative AI powered RAG solution. READ ALL ABOUT IT!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Documentation best practices?

Hi,

in several jobs I have made the experience that when doing anything in the area of programming/ coding/ developing or whatever, good documentation is an important topic, though an often-overlooked one, making it kind of hard to justify the time spent documenting stuff... However: Is there any article/ document available on best practices in documenting QlikView developments? I would like to begin right away by e.g. writing about one page in Word about any QV document I create, place it on a Server and link it directly to the document.

Thanks for any comments/ hints!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Reply
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

I will begin by stating what I currently have:

My current task is implementing in QlikView a number of Reports currently available in Crystal. To document the QV documents I create in the process, I have developed a documentation_template, a copy of which will be populated for every QV document I create to replace one (or several) Crystal_Report(s) and linked to the document. That document currently contains

- the name of the report

- the adressee/ user

- the data sources used by the report

- the tables and details on the links between them

- a short description of what information the report conveys

- a description of the objects currently in place on the QV document

To document the progress on this task, I have also set up an Excel document with all the individual steps that have to be completed to implement a report, from an internal order to the final release. There is also a diagram to that - which will also be available in a Qlikview document.

Best regards,

DataNibbler