Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Doubts related to CSV file interpretation by QlikView

Hi Guys,

Please find the attached screen shot first.

In the screen shot, you can view the excel file I was trying to pull records from.

In the same screen shot, you can view the preview of the same excel file as shown by QlikView.

My Doubt :

If you notice the header of the excel file, for the first column, header is  - : %Origin Airport Market IDOrigin Market

For the second column there is no header given.

So, in the preview pane, how QlikView correctly Identified the headers of respective columns? ( In the excel file, there is not even a space between the words Market ID and Origin Market).

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
m_woolf
Master II
Master II

When you open in Excel, Excel makes some assumptions about the file structure. For instance, if the file is comma delimited with quotes, you won't see the commas or the quotes if you open in Excel.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

Kindly upload the delimited file, from which you are trying to get the data.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
sushil353
Master II
Master II

Here it is showing the colomn number..

try to select the embedded label then you will get idea about qlikview interpretation.

HTH'

Sushil

m_woolf
Master II
Master II

I suggest you open the file in a text editor (Notepad ++) to examine its structure.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Try changing the Quoting setting from MSQ to None.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Not applicable
Author

@Kaushik,

I have already uplaoded the original file. (In my first post).

@Gysbert,

I guess there is no need. Because, it works perfectly fine. (In fact this is what my question is all about).

@Sushil,

Don't think I understood what you mean by embedded label.

@Mwoolf,

But we can examine its structure in excel itself. Please find the attached excel file.

m_woolf
Master II
Master II

When you open in Excel, Excel makes some assumptions about the file structure. For instance, if the file is comma delimited with quotes, you won't see the commas or the quotes if you open in Excel.

eddysanchez
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

If you open with notepad you can see that the file have tabs

you can configure in your qlikview for separate by tab or "," and use labels: "Embedded Labels" for recognise the first row like a Name Column

"%Origin Airport Market IDOrigin Market,"
"30003""Granite Mountain,"" AK"""""""
"30004""Lik,"" AK"""""""
"30005""Little Squaw,"" AK"""""""
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

I saw your txt file. One thing to understand here is when you take data from any source your field header should not be null.

In your case when you open the file wizard you should select the Delimiter as Comma. Now in preview pan you will see the data as seen in excel, but by default your header name will be @1 and @2, now if you select embedded lebel it will not show you the second column which doesnt have header.

Now its up to you whether you want to give a name to that field and use it or else you can skip it.

Hope this is clear.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

@Mwoolf..

Thanks .. You correctly identified the confusion...

It would be really helpful if you can put some light on how the author must have created this kind of file???

@Kaushik,

That excel file was given by the author.

If I select the Delimiter as Comma, I can see only @1 in header and not @2 as stated by you. But nonetheless, my question was something different.

I was wondering about how QlikView identify it.