Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sarahcl
Contributor II
Contributor II

Dynamic Dimension Pivot Table - multiple dimensions showing but only one selected

I'm fairly new to QlikView and I've set up a pivot table where the user can select which dimension(s) to include.  My question is why is a dimension that is not selected included in my pivot table results?  For example, I select Ref Prov City/State and that shows in the pivot table as well as the Referring Provider.  Please see the attached screen shot.

7 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Sarah, really need the QVW on this one, as difficult to say without being able to dig into how you have done things here...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
sarahcl
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hi Brett,

I've attached a subset of my qvw for your review.  I appreciate you taking a look at it!

Thanks, Sarah

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hey Sarah, thanks, mystery solved I believe! 🙂  Go into the data model editor (Ctrl-T), check out the Dimensions table, all but one of your values are Referring Provider, I think that is where the problem is, those should all have different names! 🙂  I am pretty certain if you get those aligned correctly to the actual dimension names you have, things should display as you expect then!

Shout if that does not work, but I am pretty sure this is the issue and given I am not a very good developer is likely why I found it, as I have to go poke around everywhere, whereas any developer likely would think things were ok and not check that, so it is good I am very curious! 🙂  Hopefully this does the trick.  You may want to remove that attachment too, as I am guessing that may contain some data you really do not want out here too.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
sarahcl
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Do I change it in the inline load?  I tried putting brackets around those fields, but it doesn't seem to like it.

Dimensions:
LOAD * Inline [_dimension
Billing Dept
Billing Provider
Billing Location
CPT
Referring Provider
Referring Provider Specialty
Referral Type
Referring Provider City/State
Referring Provider Regional Hub
Referring Provider Organization Name
DOS
Year
DOSYearQuarterNM
DOS Yr-Mth
];

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hey Sarah, ok, this is why I should not be helping with development issues! 🙂  I realized the column was sized just perfectly such that it seemed all the values were the same, but once I resized, I see the different names, the last word to set things individually.  The odd thing though is only the 6 show up in the table, but in the script you are loading all of them, so I am having a hard time understanding why only the 6 end up being in the table.  I am not sure if that may be part of things or not.  If you want to post the QVW back up, what you can do is go into the Document Properties of the app and then the Scrambling tab there and you can scramble any fields with values that are confidential etc.  

Sorry, I thought I had it, but that turned out to be a pipe dream, and unfortunately as I noted before, my development skills are along the lines of I know enough to be pretty dangerous! 🙂  I noticed you are running the initial release of 12.30, I am actually running 12.40 SR1, and I am seeing the same behavior, so I do not think it is a defect, it has to be something else, but I am not sure what it is.  The best I have at this point is do the scrambling on the fields that should not be public and then post the app back up, and let's see if someone better than me can have a look to see if they can figure out why it is doing what it is doing.  My hunch would be something in the expressions, but I am not good enough to figure that one out for you.  Sorry about things.

Regards,
Brett

sarahcl
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hey Brett,

Thanks so much for attempting to help!  Yeah I know just enough to be dangerous and am stumbling around developing some front end stuff.  Love learning this stuff but sometimes I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall, LOL! 🙂 

I've attached a scrambled version.  Hopefully someone can shed some light.  

Thanks again, Sarah

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I was looking at things again, and I think it might be working as expected due to the values being attached to that field somehow, but I am hoping someone else can explain it better than that, it is the only thing that makes any sense.  The one place I can point you is the Design Blog area, there are hundreds of posts out there on how-to items you may find very useful, not sure there is anything for this one, but lots of other good stuff there, so keep that bookmarked:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/bg-p/qlik-design-blog

Sorry I failed on this one, but hopefully one of the other bright minds I know hang around out here will be able to have a look and explain things properly.  Oh, and do not feel badly either, I have been here 15 years, and I still learn new stuff all the time, trying to be an expert on everything is darn near impossible.  

Cheers,
Brett