Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

'Encrypted' Excel file

Hi,

When I try to use the Table Files wizard to open a series of excel files I have been provided (all created from the same original template) I get an error message with each one I have tried saying:

"The Excel file can't be read because it is encrypted"

The files aren't encrypted at all, in fact they are not even read only. Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi ,

Did you make sure the Excel workbooks are not protected ?

Worksheet protection should not prevent reading the excel file through ODBC, but it might be an issue if files are protected at the Workbook level.

You might also face this kind of problems if the excel files contains macro and if the code is password-protected (even if you don't need to actually "open" the files when you read them an ODBC data source).

Also, you have to be aware of the fact that using excel files coming from other countries might be a problem when files are protected. The password protection algorythms use different key lengths depending on the local laws. Eg in England the password might use a 256bits key, while the key length/strength might be 512 in another country ... this might defeat your attempts to read files using a localised ODBC driver.

In that case the file is not encrypted, it's merely protected, but the "protection" uses an encrypted password...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi ,

Did you make sure the Excel workbooks are not protected ?

Worksheet protection should not prevent reading the excel file through ODBC, but it might be an issue if files are protected at the Workbook level.

You might also face this kind of problems if the excel files contains macro and if the code is password-protected (even if you don't need to actually "open" the files when you read them an ODBC data source).

Also, you have to be aware of the fact that using excel files coming from other countries might be a problem when files are protected. The password protection algorythms use different key lengths depending on the local laws. Eg in England the password might use a 256bits key, while the key length/strength might be 512 in another country ... this might defeat your attempts to read files using a localised ODBC driver.

In that case the file is not encrypted, it's merely protected, but the "protection" uses an encrypted password...

Not applicable
Author

Thanks. It was a protected sheet. Only protected in terms of changes to 'structure and windows' though so bit annoying that QV couldn't read it. There was no password as such on the file/sheet itself.

Not applicable
Author

And do you know what's the solution if this encrypted file is stored on FTP server?