Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Equivalent of ALT() function for STRING values?

Hi,

I have five closely associated flagfields in a LOAD - they are thematically the same, so I could have put them all into one, but that would have resulted in about 6 nested IF-, AND- and OR functions and a herd of brackets and I like to keep my code nice and clear - so I have to use another RESIDENT LOAD to make them all into one again. No problem there - but instead of checking LEN(TRIM([field])) for every single one (or ISNULL() or anything), could I not use an equivalent to the ALT() function? Is there any equivalent to that for String values? Or do I have to use the DUAL() function to make that work?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

7 Replies
MK_QSL
MVP
MVP

Can you provide sample app for this.?

marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

personally I think a flag-field should be always numeric (in a boolean logic with 0 and 1) or a dual-field which would be processed always faster as a string and you could use numeric functions like alt() or a range-function or maybe just by multiplying your other fields/expressions with it.

Further I could imagine to use just a single flag-field and query and react on the content within a set analysis - but like always it will depend on the real datamodel and the requirements on it.

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Manish,

the entire app would be a bit much - and mostly irrelevant to this - but I can post that particular piece of code here:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

IF NoOfRows('Abrechnung_syn_Fehler2') > 0 THEN
NoConcatenate
Abrechnung_syn_Fehler2_v3:
LOAD
IF((Kat_Pflegefehler_Typ2 = 'LVP' AND ZS_Pflegefehler_Typ2 ='Gefahr' AND NOT(MATCH(VPTA_Pflegefehler_Typ2,14,0))), 'LV_Zeit_falsch_v1', '') as LV_Zeit_v1,
IF((Kat_Pflegefehler_Typ2 = 'LVP' AND ZS_Pflegefehler_Typ2 ='kein ZS' AND NOT(MATCH(VPTA_Pflegefehler_Typ2,5,0))), 'LV_Zeit_falsch_v2', '') as LV_Zeit_v2,
IF((Kat_Pflegefehler_Typ2 = 'LVP' AND ZS_Pflegefehler_Typ2 ='Gefahr'  AND NOT(MATCH(VPTA_Pflegefehler_Typ2,0,17))), 'LV_Zeit_falsch_v3', '') as LV_Zeit_v3,
IF((Kat_Pflegefehler_Typ2 = 'LVP' AND ZS_Pflegefehler_Typ2 ='Umpa'  AND NOT(MATCH(VPTA_Pflegefehler_Typ2,0,21))), 'LV_Zeit_falsch_v4', '') as LV_Zeit_v4,
IF((Kat_Pflegefehler_Typ2 = 'LVP' AND ZS_Pflegefehler_Typ2 ='kein ZS' AND NOT(MATCH(VPTA_Pflegefehler_Typ2,0,8))), 'LV_Zeit_falsch_v5', '') as LV_Zeit_v5,
Case_Pflegefehler_Typ2 as Case_syn, // Wir verknüpfen auch diese kleinere Pflegefehler-Tabelle mit der Haupt-Datentabelle, damit wir später Zugriff auf alle Detaildaten haben.
   Applymap('Mapping_vorhanden_bei_BMW', Case_Pflegefehler_Typ2, 'N') as vorh_bei_BMW_Fehlertyp2
RESIDENT Abrechnung_syn_Fehler2;
DROP TABLE Abrechnung_syn_Fehler2;
RENAME TABLE Abrechnung_syn_Fehler2_v3 TO Abrechnung_syn_Fehler2;
ENDIF

The logic to this is: In this table, there are three types of items acc. to the field >>Kat_Pflegefehler_Typ2<<: 'LVG', 'LVP' and one other - for these two, there are fixed times - from the class and the info in the field >>ZS_Pflegefehler_Typ2<<, one can definitely calculate what value the field >>VPTA_Pflegefehler_Typ2<< should have - if that is not the case, there is a certain text, otherwise a blank - for every scenario where I can calculate that way, five scenarios in total.

=> The next step would be to make one flagfield out of those five - ah, I think I have it. I don't actually have to distinguish between all those scenarios, every manager should know them - I only have to make one flagfield telling whether the time is correct or not, the remainder can be seen elsewhere.

I think I have it. A listing with LEN(TRIM()) for every one, connected with AND, should do nicely.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Marcus,

you're right. Numerical flag_fields have many advantages. I will have a second look, I go in two steps anyway, so a text in the first step is not necessary as it will be deleted anyway.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hmmm ... something seems to be wrong there, I have to have a look. The fields don't interact like they're supposed to ...

Ah, I had a scripting error - the scenarios all dealt with the same item_category 'LVP' using different and mutually exclusive queries, they should deal with two different categories - now I have done it all right and it works 😉 What a surprise ...

AlexOmetis
Partner Ambassador
Partner Ambassador

I know this is a very old post, but in case any one finds there way here one day, the function you want is COALESCE. It's been available in Qlik Sense for a while but it will be a documented function from the Feb 2021 release. 

Qlik Partner Ambassador 2024
clarisa
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Thank you, I was looking for this function! 🙂