Qlik Community

Ask a Question

QlikView App Dev

Discussion Board for collaboration related to QlikView App Development.

Announcements
Our next Qlik Insider session will cover new key capabilities. Join us August 11th REGISTER TODAY
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Execute batch file with input defined by variable from script

Hi,

I am trying to launch a bat file from my load script using the execute command. Problems rise when I try to add some input defined by a variable.

I write in my qlikview load script:

execute "path to my -bat file" $(input_variable);

where input_variable contains three inputs separated by a space, e.g input variable = 1 2 3. For some reason the input defined by the variable is not passed on to the .bat file. If instead I write:

execute "path to my -bat file" 1 2 3;

my .bat file correctly takes the input 1 2 3. So it seems that I can't define it by a variable which is a problem as I would like to define it dynamically.

can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

3 Replies
goro2010
Creator
Creator

If you want to change the variable on the BAT file that needs to be executed, you need to write a Macro:

Execute Command:

EXECUTE cmd.exe /C C:\QVD\test.bat;

EXIT SCRIPT;

Macro:

SUB BatTest

SET d = ActiveDocument.Variables("vTest")

vTest = d.GetContent.STRING

Set obj = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

obj.Run "C:\QVD\test.bat "&vTest, , TRUE

End Sub

---vTest is a variable with whatever number I need to populate, example, 1, 2, 3, etc...

My BAT File:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\qlikView\QV.exe" /VvReloadMacro=%1 /NoSecurity "C:\QVD\Test.qvw"

--Use the %1 where you want to have your variable be pushed to..

You can have any amount of variables, in your macro you can change the following:

SUB BatTest

SET d = ActiveDocument.Variables("vTest")

vTest = d.GetContent.STRING

Set obj = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

obj.Run "C:\QVD\test.bat "&vTest&" 20", , TRUE

End Sub

And your BAT file:

"c:\Program Files (x86)\qlikView\QV.exe" /VvReloadMacro=%1 /VvReloadMacro2=%2 /NoSecurity "C:\QVD\Test.qvw"

Please ensure that the variables exist vReloadMacro & vReloadMacro2 in your document.

ETC...

Hope this helps!

Not applicable
Author

It works when I set the variable (input_variable = 1 2 3) with a button clik front end and then initiate a reload with another button. This is the solution I'll go with.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you for your time and answer. Unfortunately I did not get to test if your solution works, as I prefer not to go the 'macro-way'.