Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peter_burgess
Contributor III
Contributor III

Export to Excel Not Working for Straight Table

Capture.JPG

Hi all.

When trying to Export to Excel from the 'XL' icon in the header bar of a straight table, I get a big cross right across the table and it is dimmed out. Apart from the obvious (i.e. it won't work) what does, or could, this actually mean?

We have recently upgraded from QV 11.2 to 12.3, could this be a factor? I don't recall seeing this behaviour with the same table in QV 11.2.

I have a workaround in that I can right-click and export as a text file (right-click and export as either an xls or xlsx still doesn't work) but I don't want to have to explain this to all the users. I have now seen this behaviour in two different straight tables in two separate reports, so it is potentially an ongoing problem.

My first thought is that I have to replace the offending table(s) with newly-designed ones. But if I had some idea as to why the big cross happens on some straight tables and not others, I might be able to reduce my workload.

Are there any pointers out there from anyone else who might have faced the same issue?

Thanks,

Pete

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peter_burgess
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thought I'd clean this thread up because I've found a solution, if not a reason.

The problem occurs on straight tables where the right-hand column(s) are dimensions, but there are expressions to the left of them.

Moving the expression columns to the right-hand of the dimension columns, without making any other modifications, then allows the Export to Excel to proceed as normal.

If anyone out there is having similar problems, my first suggestion would be to ensure your expression columns are to the right of your dimensions, if at all possible.

Regards,

Pete

View solution in original post

4 Replies
marcus_sommer

Does it always happens even with small tables (straight-table, tablebox, pivot) and/or newly created ones or only with a few particular tables (which seems quite large)?

- Marcus

peter_burgess
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Marcus.

This is a relatively new phenomenon, only seen since we upgraded from QV 11.2 to 12.3, and so far has been seen only on Straight Table charts.

No, not all straight tables are affected, and the ones so far affected are not new, but pre-existing.

The tables affected are relatively large inasmuch as they have numerous columns (10 to 20), but the same issue occurs on those tables regardless of whether there are 2 rows in the selection, or hundreds of rows.

The issue is present in this version of QV, but I can't 100% guarantee that it was absent in v11.2. I suspect it wasn't there then because users would have complained to me otherwise, and because I have seen some other behavioural differences between v11.2 and v12.3 I am suspicious that it has something to do with the conversion.

But I can't provide in-depth answers because I simply haven't done enough investigation. I am hoping for a pointer from someone that has encountered a similar situation, before assigning time to what could become a major exercise.

Thanks,

Pete

peter_burgess
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thought I'd clean this thread up because I've found a solution, if not a reason.

The problem occurs on straight tables where the right-hand column(s) are dimensions, but there are expressions to the left of them.

Moving the expression columns to the right-hand of the dimension columns, without making any other modifications, then allows the Export to Excel to proceed as normal.

If anyone out there is having similar problems, my first suggestion would be to ensure your expression columns are to the right of your dimensions, if at all possible.

Regards,

Pete

kathrinespang
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Had the same bug thank you for the solution.