Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Exporting a very large table box to a tab delimited text file

I want to export the contents of a table box (7 million records x 100 characters) to a text file (to drop into another system).

If I fire up the export command, memory usage rapidly runs up to maximum (11.7gb) at which point CPU usage falls to a trickle.

Why does creating an 800mb text file take 10gb of RAM? If I leave it running how long will it take? Is there a better way of dropping data out of a QVS?

Ralph Lucas

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi

I can't tell you why the memory usage goes sky high, I'll leave that to someone else to answer...

When you say "drop data" it sounds to me like it's a one time thing??
If it is, maybe you can use the store-command in the load script to create the textfile (store * from myTable into myTextfile.csv (txt)).

/Fredrik

hectorgarcia
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

I.m not a savy but.. i think waht fredrik is sugesting only works to create QVD files. I tried yo so it in a sample script and generates an unreadable file, ( a combination of XML and special characters)

test:

LOAD

monthname(Fecha) as Fecha

[Empresas por Cantidad de Registros en Lote]

[Registros en Lote]

Grupos

[Total Empresas]

[Precio Unitario]

Facturar

FROM

[..\Datos Modulo de seguriad y Modulo lotes Bole Mercantil 2009.xls] (biff, header is line, embedded labels, table is lotes)

;

store

* from test into myTextfile.csv

(txt);

mike_garcia
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I have not used the Store command to create text files, but the help suggests to use the txt file extension:

Store mytable into myfile.txt (txt);

I think it is a good idea to use it. If the table box needs to be created based on selections, maybe you will need to use a where clause when creating the table in the script.

Regards,

Mike.

Miguel García
Qlik Expert, Author and Trainer
Not applicable
Author

Thankyou all for your help.

I had not realised that this facility had been added to QV - my version is without it. I will upgrade to 9 and try.

Ralph