Skip to main content
Announcements
See what Drew Clarke has to say about the Qlik Talend Cloud launch! READ THE BLOG
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
papabaer
Contributor
Contributor

Expression using variables not working

I have the following variables defined:

vNomsPartial defined as: if(Availability='Partial', Nomenclature)

vNomsNone defined as: if(Availability='None', Nomenclature)

vNomsFull defined as: if(Availability='Full', Nomenclature)

Any given row in the table could have any number of occurrences of a particular Nomenclature with the Availability in any of the three states.  Nomenclature ABC could occur three times, for example, with each Availability.

I'm trying to fill a field based on the existence of rows in the various states.

For example, if Nomenclature ABC had both a 'Full' and a 'Partial' Availability, then I'd want to output 'Partial' for this particular Nomenclature.

When I try the following expression in a list box - to see what the variables are returning, I do get the expected list of nomenclatures - those for which there exists the condition of Availability = 'None':

= if(match(Nomenclature, $(vNomsNone)) , Nomenclature)

However, the wheels come off when I try to do anything more - like ensure that ALL instances are ONLY None.  The following does not return any rows:

= if(match(Nomenclature, $(vNomsNone)) AND not match(Nomenclature, $(vNomsPartial)), Nomenclature)

I just don't see how the 1st can work, and not the 2nd.

Any help out there?

thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Akhil_Reddy
Contributor III
Contributor III

I think don't use AND for comparing same field nomenclature. use OR instead of AND. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
papabaer
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Sorry - Small clarification -

I missed the "Not" in front of the last match...

And, I do know there are rows that should show up with that 2nd logic - i.e., there ARE entries with nomenclatures that have only Availability = 'None'.  (In fact, the final will need to have = None, and <> Partial, and <> Full actually...  but I can't even get that 2nd one to work with only the one added constraint...)

So I assume what I'm trying either isn't allowed (can't imagine in this case...) or I'm just using the wrong syntax (hoping this is the case...)

Akhil_Reddy
Contributor III
Contributor III

I think don't use AND for comparing same field nomenclature. use OR instead of AND.