Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Extra line created and the total summed automatically?! wtf

Hi guys,

I have a straight pivot table (image included) that pulls data from 3 sources

One is collections, one is invoices and the other is budget.

All of them share they key Company, Year, Month

The only difference between the 3 is the budget is an xls spreadsheet. I can't find anything wrong with the spreadsheet to cause this. But take a look at what it does. *WHY* does it sum the budget into it's own column (which doesn't have a Company)??

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Clicking on the dimension (which is company) and clicking "Suppress when value is null" checkbox, worked. Now I can move on with my life.

Advice to everyone out there, if you have a similar issue where you can't explain (through the data) why QV added an extra row and summed 1 column (and not the others), and your dimension is null for that row, use this feature

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Not applicable
Author

And no I don't have "Partial Summary" turned on

kouroshkarimi
Creator III
Creator III

Does the budget xls contain a company name? And are you producing synthetic keys in your datamodel or creating your own composite key from the 3 fields?

Not applicable
Author

Yes, the xls has Company in it, AFAIK QlikView handles the synthentic keys, the table view (ctrl - T) shows the links

Not applicable
Author

Is there a way I can view the raw data that's stored in the QWV so I can analyze this myself? There is no indication as to why this is happening

Not applicable
Author

im extremely confused as to what you are asking.  Are your 3 tables joined? Can you attach an example QVW so we can help with the issue?

Not applicable
Author

..... yes.... they are joined.... I can't because this is financial data

August gives a "magical" summary of just the budget column (nowhere in the excel spreadsheet is a summary done to give that figure)

It didn't do this while we were in August.

How / Where / Why does Qlikview ADD a new line and sums one column? Surely it has to adhere to it's own synth keys? and group them by Company.

And there certainly is NO blank "Company" data in that excel spreadsheet

Not applicable
Author

I just did an inline load of all the budget data instead of using an xls spreadsheet, wambam, qlikview magically adds a seperate row with a summary of that column

Not applicable
Author

You should remove synthetic keys   have you got partial sums active on that column?

Not applicable
Author

Will try removing those, but what's the point if they can't group by company? How do I fit my budget in per company on that table then?

No I don't have partial sums enabled, but I enabled them anyway (they show a nice "Total" and grey out the background with bold sums)

As per the image, it just shows another row with a dash in the company column and sums the budget.