Skip to main content
Announcements
SYSTEM MAINTENANCE: Thurs., Sept. 19, 1 AM ET, Platform will be unavailable for approx. 60 minutes.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

FieldValue() and FieldIndex()

Hi All,

I have a data table that has two fields

• Measure
  • Frequency

I want to output the value for Frequency when the user selects a measure. I thought this would be easy, but it is giving me issues. A simplified version of my expression is this

FieldValue('Frequency',5)

I noticed something unusual. My frequency table only has 3 distinct values i.e. Daily, Weekly, Monthly. The fieldvalue() has taken the distinct count and rearranged my elem_no so that any elem_no I enter above 3 returns a null. How is this possible when it looks at the internal table as per load order?

Any help understanding this problem would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info, let me know

Cheers,

Byron

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think I am a little bit confused, maybe because your thread title 'Recognise Text with Space'?

FieldValue is not looking at a table, it's looking at the field (similar to a list box) with its stored distinct values.

So what you expect to be returned if you enter an elem_no larger than the amount of distinct values?

View solution in original post

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think I am a little bit confused, maybe because your thread title 'Recognise Text with Space'?

FieldValue is not looking at a table, it's looking at the field (similar to a list box) with its stored distinct values.

So what you expect to be returned if you enter an elem_no larger than the amount of distinct values?

Not applicable
Author

Hey Stefan,

I did change this shortly after posting; realized it was not that, that was causing the issue.

Thanks for your reply! Coincidentally, all my previous applications of this function worked because the field I was referencing by default was distinct for each line within a table. This obviously led me to believe it was behaving in a way it was not.

After you mentioned this, I realized that this function would return the correct result

Only({<MeasureName={'$(vVolumeAccounts)'}>}Frequency)

Cheers,

Byron