Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Filling in null values in a table

Hi guys. I have a table with a number of fields and those fields could have null values. I want to replace those null values with a string 'null' so I can select them. Is there an easy way to do this once the table is resident in QlikView? Thanks!

Eric

5 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

You can add it in the script level as;

IF(IsNull(Field1),'NULL',Field1) as Field1

Regards

Rajesh

Not applicable
Author

So say I already have the table loaded in the script. Would I do a left join on that table or something? So like this:

LEFT JOIN (MyTable)

LOAD

ID,

If(IsNull(Field1,'None',Field1) AS Field1,

If(IsNull(Field2,'None',Field2) AS Field2,

RESIDENT MyTable;

?

achiever_ajay
Contributor III
Contributor III

hi,

in your edit script, you can direclty replace the line where you load "field1" with "If(IsNull(Field1,'None',Field1) AS Field1," thix would be enough.

eg..

//old script

load Field1

from ....

//new script

load If(IsNull(Field1,'None',Field1) AS Field1,

from...

Regards

Ajay Kumar

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

One more suggestion would be instead of using isnull() function. try using len() function since it would detect both null and blank value and in some case isnull() function may not detect null as well. so len() function would be advisable.

you formula would be if(len(Field1) = 0 ,'None',Field1) as Field1

- Sridhar

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

I prefer to use Len() instead of IsNull() as well. But if you need to do that in all fields of your datasource, you can check the use of

NullAsValue *
at the beginning of the script, or NullDisplay, if you are connecting through ODBC.

Regards.