Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Filtering on Pre Calculated Data

Hi,

I'm new to Qlik and would like to know how I can view the following data created via a GROUPING SETS statement in SQL. This was used because there are many-to-many relationships between the dimensions.

If you're not familiar with GROUPING SETS data, the first row below totals the unique users for one dimension (Country) and the other rows totals the unique users for two dimensions (Country and Device). This is because some users may have more than one device.

CountryDeviceTotal Unique Users
FRANCENULL50,000
FRANCEiOS26,000
FRANCEAndroid25,000

I want the user who selects Country=FRANCE as the only filter to return 50,000 unique users and not a sum of all rows containing Country=FRANCE.

How is this best achieved in Qlik? Or should I not be using precalculated fields at all in Qlik, and instead use the user level data (what happens if this is very large)?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

TotalUnique.png

edit: Sunny is always faster in creating sample apps...

But his expression should also work in Sense

View solution in original post

15 Replies
sunny_talwar

You want to see 50,000 because it is Device = NULL? Will that be true for other countries also? If it is, then you can try this:

Sum({<Device = {'NULL'}>} [Total Unique Users])

Colin-Albert

Just load the rows where Device > ''  (or Device <> 'NULL')  to exclude the Country Total row, then your data will sum correctly in Qlik.

The other option is to load the raw data and let Qlik calculate the sum.  This may prove more flexible.  50,000 rows is not big for Qlik systems.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the responses. The actual table I have is a lot larger and with more dimensions than the illustrated (simplified) version above. Attached is a screenshot of the table I'm working on.

The QV dashboard needs to be built such that:

• When Country "AD" is selected (and nothing else) it returns 1,598 users
  • When Country "AD" and Product="Prepay" is selected it returns 71 Users
  • When Country "AD" and Product="Prepay" and Date="10/05/2016" is selected it returns 24 Users
  • and so on...

I agree that only the raw user level data will provide the most flexibility however this data is very large (100s of millions of rows) and will grow over time even larger. The example here is for one of our smallest countries (Andorra!) so you get the picture.

I have tried to use Qlik Expressions with the below using functions like GetCurrentSelection or GetSelectedCount for each field, but haven't managed to come up with anything neat yet. Is there anything I can do with the Group ID column below ?

Thanks

• TabStructure.png
sunny_talwar

Try this:

=Only({<Row = {"=If(GetSelectedCount(Device) = 1, Len(Trim(Device)) > 0, Len(Trim(Device)) = 0) and

If(GetSelectedCount(Product) = 1, Len(Trim(Product)) > 0, Len(Trim(Product)) = 0) and

If(GetSelectedCount(Date) = 1, Len(Trim(Date)) > 0, Len(Trim(Date)) = 0)"}>}TOTAL_UNIQUE_USER)

You might need to add another If statement in the search string for Country as well.

I am attaching the sample for you to look at.

Best,

Sunny

NOTE: Instead of providing an image, it would be best if you can provide the sample in an Excel file.

QlikCommunity Tip: How to get answers to your post?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Thank you Sunny for the sample (I absolutely agree that it's really helpful to post table files or INLINE tables as text to show some input records, and that it's not much fun recreating sample records from screenshots)!

I think the expression can be slightly simplified to

=FirstSortedValue(TOTAL_UNIQUE_USER, -GROUP_ID)

sunny_talwar

I had a feeling that your much simpler expression is on its way

Not applicable
Author

Thanks both for your responses to this.

I apologise for not attaching the data, this was my first time posting in these communities and I could only see an attachment for images in the client I was using yesterday. I've now attached the data file including the full data for all countries, so you'll find there's an extra dimension added to the cube.

I sadly can't open the .qvw files as I'm using a personal edition - is there a way around this?

I should also mention that I am building this in QlikSense but I hope that doesn't affect the formulae?

Thanks again

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Try this

Max(Aggr(Sum(TOTAL_UNIQUE_USER),Device,Country))

Kind regards

sunny_talwar

Stefan's expression should still work in QlikSense:

=FirstSortedValue(TOTAL_UNIQUE_USERS, -GROUP_ID)