Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

General question - controlling Excel_files?

Hi,

I have come across something here which I never did in several years working with QlikView: There is an Excel_file - one for every report - with several sheets for field_aliases and formulas. I don't yet know in detail what's in there, I'm too new here.

I used to have often-used pieces of code and formulas (like colours etc.) in txt files to INCLUDE, so I do understand what's the reason for that.

I also had some pieces of information in Excel files, but not on the QlikView_server, but somewhere else, so that these could be maintained by other people and I could still restrict access to QlikView stuff.

I also know that having this Excel file is something consultants do these days, it is considered good practice to have it.

I just wonder a bit, what is the sense behind this if the Excel file resides on the QlikView_server, so whoever is supposed to maintain it must have detailed knowledge of the structure of directories there?

When it comes to formulas, I wonder, too: I understand that it makes sense to put often-used formulas into variables and read those from an Excel file so one has to type these up only once - but with very specific formulas including set_analysis and stuff which are (probably, I don't know for sure yet) used only once in an app? I don't see the advantage there because it does not speed up execution (if it's surface_formulas). It makes it somewhat easier to find a formula - but then you have to find out which chart it belongs to whereas if the formula is directly in the chart, you have it all together.

Can someone shed some light on this for me, please?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

0 Replies