Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Getcurrentfield() not finding group

Hey There,

I created a drill down group called "QuestiontoResponse" in the Edit Groups section of the dimension tab.

However when I go to the expressions tab and attempt to call the group after I've inserted the getcurrentfield function this group (or any group) does not appear as an option to insert into getcurrentfield().

I've make sure that I am using my group as my dimension thinking that the expression will only allow the currently used dimension, but that has not helped either. When I insert the string "QuestiontoResponse" into the function, QlikView returns the "Error in Expression" Message.

Does anyone know why this could be happening?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fred_s
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Briana,

It worked for me and I have used your expression.

One thing: Qlikview is Case sensitive...

I had to adjust a couple of fieldnames.

If it's not working, I'd suggest to take a look at the capitals.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
fred_s
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Briana,

Same red error in expression.. but it works, at least in my testfile (used it as Window title).

There are some situations in Qlikview where you get errors like this, while the code is good (or at least accepted :-).

Maybe this is one of them.

Grtz. Fred

Not applicable
Author

Hi Fred,

Thank you! Just ignoring it did work. But now I'm facing an additional problem. I'm not sure if this stems from not understanding the function or if I should be using a nested if statement instead.

My drill down group has two fields: "mini_sheet_label" and "mini_student_response", so I wrote my expression as follows:

Essentially, without getting into what the original table looks like I just want if the dimension is mini_sheet_label I want the data to display as the first expression, and if the field is mini_student_response I want the data to show as the second expression.

I know the second expression displays the data correctly because I made a graph on the side that just has that expression and dimension, but when I drill down only the test graph(left graph) shows the correct data.

Do you know how I can update my expression to get both graphs to match?

Thanks again,

Briana

fred_s
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Briana,

Is it top secret or is it possible to share your file?

And/Or share the complete expression and show me some values for

mini_sheet_label, mini_student_response, Mini_subject, Mini_Interim_Points

and the fields part of your Drilldown group.

Not applicable
Author

I unfortunately can't share the file, this data is for our school district and I'm hesitant to share out our student data. However all of the data for this dashboard comes in from a single table which I have attached here. I've only included the data for the test and question that I've been using as my guinea pig.

The test is titled 02.27 Grade 7 SOC Quiz 1, and I'm looking at the data for all the students tested for question #7.

The percent of students that got #7 correct was 67.% and the count of the responses is in the table below.

responsesstudent_response
2NULL
31A
27B
161C
19D

The complete expression for the drill down chart is:

=if(GetCurrentField(QuestiontoResponse) = 'Mini_Sheet_Label'

,sum({$<Mini_Subject ={'SOC'}>}Mini_Interim_Points)/count({$<Mini_Subject ={'SOC'}>}Mini_Interim_Points)

,count({$<Mini_Subject ={'SOC'}>}Mini_Student_Response))

The dimensions and expressions for the side chart are:

Dimension: Mini_Student_Response

Expression: count({$<Mini_Subject ={'SOC'}>}Mini_Student_Response)

Let me know if I can supply anything else.

fred_s
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

In my dataset there's just one value in mini_sheet_label and it's 7.

If it's the same in your set, the Drilldown Group will automatically Drill down to the next level, since the first dimension only has one value.

Grtz. Fred

Not applicable
Author

Yup, and that's what I want, but I want to see the distribution of student responses when I drill down, so I want the top graph to look like such:

And the drill graph, when I choose number 7 to look like:

fred_s
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Briana,

It worked for me and I have used your expression.

One thing: Qlikview is Case sensitive...

I had to adjust a couple of fieldnames.

If it's not working, I'd suggest to take a look at the capitals.

Not applicable
Author

Interesting! Gotcha, I'll keep at it, thanks so much for all of your help!

Briana

fred_s
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi Briana,

If your question is answered, please mark it as answered.

Means also that people who are trying to help others, don't have to put energy in this thread any more 😉

Thanks