Skip to main content
Announcements
Introducing a new Enhanced File Management feature in Qlik Cloud! GET THE DETAILS!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Guidance please

I am after a little help here please.

I am seeking a cheaper option to embedding BI reporting than MS's Power BI option offers and Qlik appears to be ticking the right boxes.  I acknowledge that there will be a large learning curve but all I see is a whole load of downloading and "try it" opportunities, without an option for SQL Server.  Sense seems to be an end-user not a developer's tool.

I have downloaded and installed QlikView PE and looked at the Cloud options and there is nothing about importing data from SQL Server.  The former seems to be Excel only and the Cloud options are not much better.

I have been in IT for far too many years and a lot of them as a MSSQL DBA, so I am not a newbie to the game.

Any guidance with regards to what I should be downloading and testing would be appreciated, as I am not finding the answers from the Qlik web-site?

My only prerequisites are the BI solution must be embedded and must support SQL Server.

With thanks for your time and patience.

9 Replies
kfoudhaily
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks Michael.  The video did it!

I am supposed to Edit a Script to import data.  Wow!  That is really not obvious!  Qlik please note.

I am a busy person and wasting 1/2 day on this, should not have happened.  In that time, I am already half way through evaluating a competitor of yours.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

If you mean the ODBC part, I don't see how can you avoid creating the ODBC (or JDBC) to extract the data in any other software. In QlikView, the way of connecting to data sources (databases or spreadsheets, files or websites) is via the Script Editor. Qlik Sense can be a bit different.

If the data is to be loaded "as is", usually the wizard is all you need to select which database, and from it, which view/table, and which columns if not all. The good thing about this is that this works, once the DSN is in place, with any database manager.

If the data it's not ready to consume, then you will need to edit the script, even if based on the wizard, to modify fields if you need to, rename, join, etc. more often creating your own.

But if you are looking for a plug and play tool, I agree, QlikView is not a plugin for SQL Server (or any other source for that matter).

If you need a short intro to QlikView to be able to decide whether or not this is the tool you are looking for, I'm more than happy to engage with you by Skype, Hangouts or the like. Of course, you can also contact Qlik themselves or a partner.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thanks for all the responses.  Please bear in mind that I could not find the option to import the data, in the first place.  I happy to create ODBC and other connectors but finding the option in QlikView was the issue.

Using the Edit Script option is *far* from obvious to me.  Let's hope that the other options are easier to find!

I have a large working BI solution though Microsoft Power BI and am exploring the options for a cheaper solution, that fits in with our existing solution.  Hence my prerequisites of "embedded" and "SQL Server".

@Miguel, thanks for your offer of assistance.  I probably wont take it up but thank you for your kindness.

Tanalex
Creator II
Creator II

Give Qlik View an honest chance.  While not extremely intuitive, it is quite powerful.  Like any software, one has to learn the nuances to fully leverage the power.  Best of luck in your evaluation.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

If you want to go embedded, you should be evaluating Qlik Sense rather than QlikView.

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

@Michael.  All complex solutions have a steep learning curve and this is part of it.  Once up to speed, I would expect a smoother ride.  I remember looking at Qlik around 8 years ago and it wasn't quite was I was looking for.  Today it is and with GDPR and DPA considerations, Qlik being European can only help.

At least Qlik has a vibrant and very responsive community, so thanks to all who responded.