Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rahulhv1
Creator II
Creator II

Hardware Sizing for Qlik View

Friends, i just want to know how to decide what kind of server that i require for QlikView , We are on SAP  and going for QlikView for around 50 users. As of now, our SAP Database size is 2.1 TB. Also pls. let me know if we can use SUN Solaris as an OS for we need to go for Microsoft only.

8 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

You can refer to your local QlikView retailer for sizing details.

I can tell you that we have same DB size (~2 TB) for SAP BW.

We use 2 Virtual machines for 2 nodes of  QVS and QVB.

Each machine has 64GB RAM, Xeon 2.13 GHZ 8 cores processor with Windows server 2008 64bit OS and 250 GB Hard Drive.

QlikView server requires Windows server OS.

Thanks

Yaniv

rahulhv1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thank You so much Yaniv.

Not applicable

Hi Rahul,

Find this document.

rahulhv1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Raja.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rahul

I would be wary of Virtual Servers, I have had disastrous performance issues that way with Qlikview, and now would only use Physical Servers. Although I do reckon server virtualisation will improve over the next few years to the point where it could well be viable for QlikView.

Also do not allow any development to be done on any Production Server.  I have a dedicated Dev Server that the developers access via RDP.

Sizing hardware for any software is bit like measuring the length of a bit of elastic, especially as the odds are you will not yet have all the details to put into a sizing calculation.  Notwithstanding that, Yaniv's suggestion could be a suitable starting point, although for the QV Server, I would seriously consider tripling the RAM to say about 180 GB and ensure sufficient spare slots to be able to double that without having to discard any RAM DIMM's.  [Do go for physical servers though].

Note:     QlikView exploits in memory analytics / massive caching and hence sufficient RAM is critical.

You may well want three servers, all with 8 fast Intel cores and room for upgrading to double that.

• QV & Web Server:
    • 180 GB RAM

• QV Publisher Server
    • 80 GB RAM

• Dev Server
    • 80 GB RAM

Initially you could put the QV Publisher and Server on the same physical server, whilst you get some sizing metrics as your implementation progresses, but do get monies for an extra server budgeted for as contingency.

Finally, remember to disable Hyperthreading at the bios level on all your QlikView servers.

Best Regards,     Bill

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with Bill regarding virtual servers, I would also recommend physical machines.

The reason we have virtual servers is for DSP (Disaster Recovery Plan) - it required most of our machines to be virtual in order to be on a "live" backup.

Yaniv

rahulhv1
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Thanks Bill, It's indeed a very helpful post. Thanks again.

sspe
Creator II
Creator II

Hi,

Giving any suggestions on sizing is difficult without any knowledge about how your applications will look.

It might be that your SAP database is 2 TB, but I don't expect you want to load all these data into QV, so that number alone doesn't say much.

As a rule of thumb, then the size of your applications will determine the amount of RAM you need and the complexity (i.e. number of expressions etc) of your application mixed with the number of users will determine the need for processors/cores.

This is of course very simplified, but it's worth keeping in mind as a starting point.

Suggesting a server with any amount of RAM, is in my opinion nonsens until you have more knowledge about which kind of applications you are going to develope. If you only have a few applications that takes up 2 GB, then these will only take up 2 GB RAM each (plus a little extra per user accessing the app) so you might be fine with 10 GB.

As a side note, then we are running on virtual servers (VmWare) and so far we have seen no problems. Of course we can't compare the performance to a non-virtual server but we don't feel any performance issues yet. We still haven't got that heavy load on the servers though, so I can't say for sure that we don't run into troubles at a later stage.

Regards

Steen