Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

Header lines in an Excel file to LOAD

Hi,

I'm again having trouble with the nr. of header lines in an Excel file that we get from a customer and that I have to load to analyze it: There are two sheets,

- one has 6 lines above the column_headers (counted in Excel)

- one has 5 lines above the column_headers (counted in Excel)

QlikView, however, seems to automatically delete one line on the first sheet where there is nothing at all - there is some text starting in line #2 - so specifying 5 header_lines in the LOAD_wizard works for both sheets.

I wonder why that is? Does QlikView do that, is that expected behaviour? I just want to know whether I can rely on that ...

Can anybody help me out there?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Qlikview reads nothing from an Excel line that is completely blank. It seems to be repeatable. I had a problem with an application that had to count the number of lines and it would not count the blank lines, so I had to put dummy text in a column in those blank lines so the count would be correct. (And I think that was Qlikview V9 or V10)

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Qlikview reads nothing from an Excel line that is completely blank. It seems to be repeatable. I had a problem with an application that had to count the number of lines and it would not count the blank lines, so I had to put dummy text in a column in those blank lines so the count would be correct. (And I think that was Qlikview V9 or V10)

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
marcus_sommer

Hi DataNibbler,

I'm not sure but I believe this is an expected behavior - to ignore rows without any content. You could try to load the data without labels and extra header or something similar - to see if any option changed this.

By newer excel with xlsx-extension could it be possible to load the file not as excel else as xml-file - have never tried it but it might work. Also could a qdbc sql-load have another behavior: ODBC connection to Excel file.

- Marcus

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Jonathan,

okay. So I guess I can rely on that.

It's relevant because I document the function and use of every app I make, so I will write to just count the lines above the column_headers, not counting completely blank lines, and to specify that number - there are some input_boxes in my script which has to be run locally anyway.

Thanks a lot!