Qlik Introduces a New Era of Visualization! READ ALL ABOUT IT
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Help with Complex Expression

Hi everyone,

I am struggling to create the following expression to be used in a chart.

I have a concatenated fact table which consists of Sales (record type 'SA') and First Sales Date (record type 'FS') which consists of a date when the customer had the first sale.

I want to create an expression where I get the total Sales for the month where the customers had the first Sales.

For ex for April 2016:
Total Sales in month  $15,000
No of First Customers 230
Total Sales from first customers $8,500 (therefore Sales from returning customers $6,500)

I wrote the following expression:
=SUM({<AccountID=P({<Type={'FS'>}) >} Sales)

however the above will give me the sales of months 5,6,7, etc.. for the customers who came first active in Month 4, and not sales for just month 4.

Can anyone help me in this please?

I want to somehow achive the following condition
=SUM({<AccountID=P({<Type={'FS'}, Month_Number_Year={'4'}>} ), Month_Number_Year={'4'}>} Sales)

Many thanks for your help,

Jon

Message was edited by: Jonathan Mallia

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

I think the two expressions are different ways to reach same result but can vary based on your actual data. In your case if both the expressions are working, I would suggest you to use your own expression as it is simpler and require a smaller aggregation.

HTH

Best,

Sunny

View solution in original post

12 Replies
tresesco
MVP
MVP

Do you get the output right with your last expression, i.e =SUM({<AccountID=P({<Type={'FS'}, Month_Number_Year={'4'}>} ), Month_Number_Year={'4'}>} Sales) ?

Could you post a sample qvw?

Not applicable
Author

Yes the last expression gives me the correct output because it returns the customers who had type FS in month 4, and Sales of month 4.

Thanks

tresesco
MVP
MVP

So you are probably trying to make it dynamic by setting a formula for '4'. Am I right? If so, please tell your logic in detail how you decide on '4' ? Perhaps a sample qvw with sample data ?

Not applicable
Author

What I need is something based on

=SUM({<AccountID=P({<Type={'FS'>}) >} Sales)

to be shown in a chart - a chart which shows the total sales from first time customers. The Dimension on this chart is simply Month.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Tresesco,

Did you manage to get hold of the sample app?

Thanks

sunny_talwar

May be looking to get this?

Capture.PNG

Expression

=Sum(Aggr(If(AccountBrandID = Above(AccountBrandID) and Above(Type) = 'FS', Sum(Deposits)), Month_Number_Year, AccountBrandID, Type))

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for the above. The Value for April should be 25,830 however. The April value in the chart should be the same as when selecting Apr from the top list.

Not applicable
Author

Hi everyone,

So after a while it looks like the below works...

Sum
(
Aggr( IF(COUNT(DISTINCT Type) = 2, SUM(Deposits),0), AccountBrandID, Month_Name_Abbreviation)
)

Anyone can confirm this and ensure it works in all scenarios?

sunny_talwar

Both our expressions are giving the same values. Not sure what difference did you find?

Capture.PNG

1st expression is mind and second one is yours