Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Hide Columns in Pivot Table

Hello everyone,

I'm using QV11 and I have created a pivot table that populates that table with a 13month rolling average.

The calculations in that table are correct, and I can select Year, Month and Quarters and show only those values. However, my issue is that the table also shows null cells. The expression I am currently using is below.

If(Year,rangeavg(before(sum({$<Year=,Month=>}[sales]),0,13)),null()).

If a specifc month, year or quarter is selected, the values for the select value(s) is shown. Values not within the user selection are turned null.

As an example of the output if the user selects 'August' as a month (I did select the Null symbol to equal 'Null' in the presentation tab of the pivot table):

GroupMAY 2011JUN 2011JUL 2011AUG 2011
TotalNULLNULLNULL76
Group XNULLNULLNULL81

Also, an example of no user selection:

GroupMAY 2011JUN 2011JUL 2011AUG 2011
Total79767676
Group X888582

Group X is one of a number of groups that comprise the total. As stated, values calculated are correct and fulfill requirements.

I've tried suppressing null values within the dimension tab for year/month, this did not seem to work. I also attempted to use a conditional but my knowledge of those conditionals are slim and I couldn't think of an example with any effect outside of disabling the expression.

Is there any possibility of hiding cells that are empty/null using a calculated expression?

Thanks and Regards,

Christian

5 Replies
joshabbott
Creator III
Creator III

Why is the values in May/Jun/Jul showing as null when in your set expression, you are eliminating the month selection?  Are you wanting there to be null's there?

Not applicable
Author

That was something I was wondering myself.

Being new to Qlikview, I started experimenting with different expressions to try and hide values. I find that without the set expression, the values are then incorrect.

I think, and excuse any error in my logic/wording, that because the set allows all values to first be added and then turned null, it results in the correct value. Without the set, it does show only the user selection, but the values are wrong- perhaps because it's trying to take the rolling average with only three available columns as opposed to all columns?

An example of removing the set is seen below :

Group AUG 2011AUG 2012AUG 2013
Total 787879
Group X 787879
joshabbott
Creator III
Creator III

Is there any chance you could upload your document?  If not, that is ok, but how do you want it to work?  Do you want it to hide or do you want it to show the values for these when August is selected?  If you want it to show the values, based on your set analysis, I would think it should work.  What is the name of the dimension they are selecting August on?  What is the name of the dimension in your pivot table for month?

Not applicable
Author

Unfortunately I am unable to share the document. I do apologize for that inconvenience.

Preferably, when the user selects a month, I would like the table to show the month(s) selected and hide the months that were not selected (same applying for year, et cetera).

The dimension name in the pivot table is CalYear/Month. The user selection names are Month and Year.

Also, apologies for a slow reply. I do not have access to my computer during the weekends.

Not applicable
Author

Just to provide a little more information:

If I remove set analysis, then only the user selection is displayed. However, since the formula uses the previous 13 months, if the user selects a year, that pivot table on sees the 12 months selected by the user. Would you happen to know why that would be?