Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HallWrite
Contributor II
Contributor II

How can I extract all the hard-coded strings from a dashboard?

Is there a way to extract all the hard-coded strings from a dashboard?

We support several languages for our QlikView app. We now have a new dashboard and I need to get the strings translated.

All the strings are currently hard-coded in English. I will right-click on each object and add the expressions.

For example, here's one from another dashboard that's already done:
=Upper(Only({<LABEL_ID={'VENDORS'},LANGUAGE={$(=vLanguage)}>}LABEL_VALUE))

For this new dashboard, I'd like to extract all the hard-coded strings into a file so I can send them to the translation company. I don't want to have to wait until I finish the tedious work of adding the expressions and saving the strings and codes one by one as I work through the dashboard.

Any ideas on how to do this more efficiently?

Thanks!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
HallWrite
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for the suggestions, but I found that trying to extract from XML was more trouble than it was worth. I wound up doing the work by hand (righ-clicking on each object, then copying and pasting the hard-coded strings into a file that I sent to the translation company).

It would be great if QlikView had a feature that lets you export titles and fields to a separate file.

View solution in original post

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Cindy, there are a couple of things that may have helped here:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/System_fields.h...

The other thing is the Governance Dashboard:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/governance-dashboard/Content/What.htm

The dashboard QVW is available on the download site, have a look at those when you get a chance and see if that may help in the future.  Sorry I did not think of the above previously, until I read your final response, things were not really clicking, but I think the above may potentially be of some use to a degree.  I will go ahead and mark your last post as the solution on this one too.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
marcus_sommer

Most of them should be possible if you load this dashboard within another qvw as XML file and then to display your wanted data in a textbox in the UI. In general it's not very difficult but you will need some efforts to pick the appropriate information from all xml-parts. You may also look into the various goverment tools like the goverment dashboard or document analyzer which also contain some parts of the meta-data.

- Marcus

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

If it is just the Expressions you are looking to search etc., you may want to see if the Settings\Expression Overview may do the trick, as you can export things from there... Not exactly sure what you are really trying to accomplish, but hopefully this may help in addition to what Marcus already posted.  If you can further clarify, I might be able to come up with something else.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
HallWrite
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Currently, all the strings are hard-coded (no expressions yet). I want to extract all the hard-coded strings into a file so I can send them out for translation.
marcus_sommer

Did you look into the qvw with an editor and/or loading them as xml-file?

- Marcus

HallWrite
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for the suggestions, but I found that trying to extract from XML was more trouble than it was worth. I wound up doing the work by hand (righ-clicking on each object, then copying and pasting the hard-coded strings into a file that I sent to the translation company).

It would be great if QlikView had a feature that lets you export titles and fields to a separate file.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Cindy, there are a couple of things that may have helped here:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Client/Content/QV_QlikView/System_fields.h...

The other thing is the Governance Dashboard:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/governance-dashboard/Content/What.htm

The dashboard QVW is available on the download site, have a look at those when you get a chance and see if that may help in the future.  Sorry I did not think of the above previously, until I read your final response, things were not really clicking, but I think the above may potentially be of some use to a degree.  I will go ahead and mark your last post as the solution on this one too.

Regards,
Brett

HallWrite
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

I took a quick look at the Governance Dashboard info. Looks like that could be helpful next time.