Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmagdich
Contributor II
Contributor II

How do I create a text object that updates based on user selection?

I am creating a dashboard from a excel file that deals with employee information.  I have seen other dashboards use the text object feature to show updated information at a glance based off of the user selection.  I can't seem to figure out how to achieve this.

Labels (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
olivetwist
Creator
Creator

See the attached example

you may want to adjust the "GETSELECTEDCOUNT(field)>0" to "GETSELECTEDCOUNT(field)=1" if you only want it to display when an individual is selected.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
olivetwist
Creator
Creator

it all depends on the information you want to display. if it is something like "TOTAL SALES" then you would just add a formula like "=sum(sales)" .

tmagdich
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

The information that I want to update are just text, not a numeric value.  What formula would I use for that?

olivetwist
Creator
Creator

Can you provide an example? is it like:

Month, User, Login_Date

If i choose a user it shows the month?

tmagdich
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Employee NameDivisionRegionEmployee ID
John SmithDevelopmentNAjsmith12

Something similar to this.  If the user selects "John Smith", text objects auto update that show this employee's division, region and employee ID.

olivetwist
Creator
Creator

See the attached example

you may want to adjust the "GETSELECTEDCOUNT(field)>0" to "GETSELECTEDCOUNT(field)=1" if you only want it to display when an individual is selected.

tmagdich
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Exactly what I needed, thank you.  Is there an easy way to display a simple dash within the text box is nothing is selected, or more than one employee name is selected?

olivetwist
Creator
Creator

Just add '-' as the "False" return in your IF like below:

=[Employee Name] & '
'&IF(GETSELECTEDCOUNT([Employee Name])=1, Division&' - '&Region&' - '&[Employee ID],'-')

Edit: had to update the formula with "=1"