Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2025: 3 days of full immersion in data, analytics, and AI. May 13-15 | Orlando, FL: Learn More
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How do I get all values of a field through API

Greetings!

I have trouble finding the correct API for getting all values of field. There are bunch of methids returning different varietes of selected, excluded or optional values. But I can't find any method that actually returns all values of a field, no matter their current state.

This is what I am trying to do. My problem with this code is that GetPossibleValues only returns the currently selectable values of the field. I want to get all values.

Public Overloads Sub FilterField(ByVal fieldname As String, ByVal fieldValues As ArrayList, Optional ByVal ClearPreviousSelection As Boolean = True)
Dim p As QlikView.Field = App.ActiveDocument.GetField(fieldname)
If ClearPreviousSelection Then p.Clear()
Dim a = p.GetPossibleValues(p.GetCardinal)
For i = a.Count - 1 To 0 Step -1
Debug.Print(i.ToString & " - " & a(i).Text)
If Not fieldValues.Contains(a(i).Text) Then
a.RemoveAt(i)
End If
Next
p.SelectValues(a)
End Sub

I could also use second call like this to get the mutually exclusive values. But the .Add method of thge object returned is a com object and don't take any parameters. So I cant merge a and b into one array.
Dim b = p.GetExcludedValues(p.GetCardinal)

So what method should I call?

/Peter

3 Replies
Not applicable
Author

I'm not sure there is a method to Get All Values. It seems that there should be.

A workaround may be to create a QlikView variable and give it the value:

Concat({1} DISTINCT FieldName, ',')

Then in your macro:

valList = ActiveDocument.Variable("vVar").GetContent.String
valAry = Split(valList, ",")

That should give you an array with all of the values of a field whether they are selected or not. I'm not sure how well that is going to work in your routine though.

Not applicable
Author

It could be something like this

Not applicable
Author

I strongly advice *not* to use the fields method: they are *very* slow. If you want to get all values, the fastest (which fortunately turns out to be the easiest too) is to Evaluate an expression which concatenate all your values with a proper set analysis which does not take the selection into account.