Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to enable "Block Borders" on Block Chart

Why are these disabled (see screenshot?)

block_chart_borders.PNG.png

The help says:

In the Block Borders group you can set the width and color of the borders drawn around the blocks on the three different dimension levels. Block borders are not applicable when the caption style of block charts is used.

But I don't know what is "caption style" of block charts?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

you would  change the style on the style tab to enable the borders. The lower style which you have selected has grey captions.

blockborder.PNG.png

blockborder2.PNG.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

you would  change the style on the style tab to enable the borders. The lower style which you have selected has grey captions.

blockborder.PNG.png

blockborder2.PNG.png

kumarkp412
Creator II
Creator II

In ur  screenshot ur using the second style,In that sytle block brodars are in disable ,if u use the first style u can change the border colors and in that u have to remove the tick mark in intermediate level captions.

Not applicable
Author

Jonathan Poole , if I use that style, can I still put text, aka some caption inside the smallest visible dimension?

I don't think so...

• It only seems to shows me the caption of the largest visible (not filtered) dimension:
    • I think the user can only see such details in a popup (which I can customize, or use the prebuilt options...)
  • And it's difficult to drill-down one-layer-at-a-time.

Basically I'm thinking this "border" style (i.e. non-captioned style) is harder-to-use. What are your thoughts? Anyone else able to use it effectively?

Thank you,    

JonnyPoole
Employee
Employee

There is a pretty good implementation of it on a demo called 'Credit Risk Management' .

When you hit the link,  hit the 'concentration analysis' tab.  You'll notice a colormix function is used to define a color gradient to denote 'problem areas'  and draw the users in.  There is also a link called 'how to read this chart' which is just a hide/show text box (and a larger mostly white text box) that whites out the rest of the chart.

Not sure if this helps with the caption issue but it may help improve the chart's usage.

QlikView

Not applicable
Author

The link is: (Jonathan posted it at the bottom of his post; but mine points at the sheet he references)

http://us-b.demo.qlik.com/QvAJAXZfc/opendoc.htm?document=qvdocs%2FCredit%20Risk%20Management.qvw&hos...

I think it has the same "problem" I describe:

• It only seems to shows me the caption of the largest visible dimension; i.e. unless only one of the values from that dimension is picked.
  • Even if you click and drag it only filters among the largest visible dimension;
  • So it's hard to drill down via the chart itself (although using listboxes is perfectly fine; I just think it does not clearly communicate it is grouping by three nested dimensions in this layout)

But it looks pretty